Catalina Express Checking Weight of Luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jen and I went over with all that (minus the deco bottles) late last year and weren't hassled.

I haven't heard much about this lately. Has anyone tried hauling a full rig (gear bag, doubles, deco bottle, drysuit bag) over lately? We're looking to go in the near future, but not if we're gonna get hassled about our gear.

Thanks,
K

I'm one of the original ones to complain about the policy because I got hit by it. But that past few times I've gone (winter with low body count) there's been no issues.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Off topic, but I was wondering if anyone had upgraded to the commodore lounge on the Long beach catalina express and whether they felt it was worth the extra money.
Okay, back to topic.

I do on the way back because I can get on the boat first and get a good seat. But it usually means I'm last off the boat because everyone elses gear has to be removed before I can get to mine.

Thanks Chris, Sean, et al.
Looks like we're gonna give it a go. Wish us luck.

As for the Commodore Lounge; been in it many times. Worth the money? Probably not, but sometimes it's all that's available. You do get a free beer and a cookie.

I had no issues on my last trip a couple weeks ago. One thing I did see was a few of these 4 wheel hand trucks. Big ole steel units about 6ft tall and a rack for tanks behind the upright handle. Those alone have to weigh more than 50#'s without any gear on them.

I read the policies for luggage and there seams to be some exceptions for divers and others , this should not be a problem if you plan ahead and they allow more than one trip up the gangway. I enjoy diving the park usually have a great dive day but with $70.00 round trip, parking @ $15.00 , meals , lugging gear , dive boats are looking better all the time.

Off topic, but I was wondering if anyone had upgraded to the commodore lounge on the Long beach catalina express and whether they felt it was worth the extra money.
Okay, back to topic.

If the boat is really full and you don't want to sit outside in the wind it is definitively worth it, especially on the way back if you don't want to sit at the pier for like an hour.

As far as them check bag weights, as long as you keep your weights in a second bag that can be detached from your dive bag they didn't give me a hassle. The last 2x we have gone over we haven't even had to take the bags and weight off of our collapsible hand trucks, they just had us roll them in the corner on the bow so it was roll on and roll right back off. If you have tanks they make you take them off and put them in a rack, but that is usually right by the gangway so you just grab it on your way past. I don't know about other people's experiences, but my wife and I have gone over at least 6x and they Cat Express people have always treated us very well and were always really friendly and helpful.

I had my tank bungeed in a hand cart and they did not have me take it out to place in the rack, just put it with the other luggage.
Have not had my "suitcase" weighted and I know it is way past 50lb, probably closer to 65lb.
Was thinking of using the commordore lounge on the return trip, (I have 2 free upgrades from a promotion last year), thought the early boarding, any alcoholic drink x 1, snack, and less crowded seating upstairs would make for more relaxing trip back.

I'm heading over to "the Big Island" today and I'm sure when they see me coming, they'll pull out the scales... to weigh ME, not my gear,. Tee hee.

I'm heading over to "the Big Island" today and I'm sure when they see me coming, they'll pull out the scales... to weigh ME, not my gear,. Tee hee.

we-re-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat_design.png:D

What brings you to the coast Bill?

Back
Top Bottom