Catching a fish with my bare hands. Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a complete and utter edited by Mania !

He certainly is a tough man catching a little fish that I backed into a hole trying to protect itself! And killing all the coral—that takes a tough man too! He is so mighty and brave. I really think if he wants to show how cool and brave he is that he should put on a pair so silver dangly earrings and go dive with some barracuda or smear some wet dog food all over himself and pay a visit to an eel colony. Now that would be some video worth watching.

Man, if you're trying to promote diving in the Arabian, that's sure as hell NOT the video you want to be playin'! You did and probably are damaging the reef everytime you enter the water. And from one videographer to the other....you got a lot of practice to do. On all aspects of video caputre, edit, and subject matter. If you had made this video to send to Greenpeace to help stop sh#* like this, then I would applaud you. But you didn't. In the future, I would forget filming crap like that...it just promotes it. ;-(

mbader71, I am thinking that no one has ever taught you about sea life, and you must have had bad examples from instructors and friends. Most everything in the sea is living, and when we touch any of it, we can do damage. Others are correct, in that just one touch to a coral polyp that is only visible with a magnifying glass will kill that polyp(s) and potentially leave a very dead spot on the coral head. The only thing left is a skeleton.

Here are some very good pictures of coral spawning. Some of these are macro shots, so you can see just how alive coral is.

Bonaire Talk: Wednesday Coral Spawning

In the picture where you are floating, and the knife in the coral head next to you, I imagine someone demonstrated this to you. Very bad example. Knives should only be used to free yourself from entanglement, or fish from entanglment.

I would suggest as others have that you take a course in marine sea life and educate yourself.

mbader71, I am thinking that no one has ever taught you about sea life, and you must have had bad examples from instructors and friends. Most everything in the sea is living, and when we touch any of it, we can do damage. Others are correct, in that just one touch to a coral polyp that is only visible with a magnifying glass will kill that polyp(s) and potentially leave a very dead spot on the coral head. The only thing left is a skeleton.

Here are some very good pictures of coral spawning. Some of these are macro shots, so you can see just how alive coral is.

Bonaire Talk: Wednesday Coral Spawning

In the picture where you are floating, and the knife in the coral head next to you, I imagine someone demonstrated this to you. Very bad example. Knives should only be used to free yourself from entanglement, or fish from entanglment.

I would suggest as others have that you take a course in marine sea life and educate yourself.

those are some spectacular shots. :)

mbader71, you're an edited by Mania , flat out. I'm reminded of the guy that was feeding the eel hotdogs, why couldn't there have been an eel in that hole? Who puts their hands and arms in holes anyway, what a dumb thing to do. You're not just an edited by Mania , you're diving at the level of a 1st grader. For the sake of our earth, please pleeeease don't ever dive again. Sell your equipment and buy some class with it. edited by Mania !

Billy

OK...not sure what may come out of this post...but here we go:

1. Cynde, excellent shots and excellent examples showing the coral as an actual living thing. (fine so far...:D)

2. Since the OP is probably too gun shy about posting (yeah we piled on him pretty bad...it was fun though), let me ask on his behalf the question, "I see a little greedy bugger called a brittle star scooping up all the coral polyps he can handle without slipping off the coral. Why is that it that the lil bugger does not damage or kill the coral? Does he not break the membrane, too? What about hurricanes? Does not all the sand and debris knock into the coral, possibly killing it...possibly by orders of magnitude greater than humans bumping coral (notice I did not include molesting like what was done by the OP)?" My guess is that the brittle star (or the sand and debris) does not have the same parasites that we humans do.

3. The knife is a blatant no no. That definately will kill the coral. Brittle stars don't cary knives:D

4. Personally, regardles of the real answer or the physics behind all this discussion, I try to avoid touching anything underwater.

I will address question #2 only.

The critters that are there because they live there. They are doing that which is required for their survival. We are there selectively be cause we are just curious. They are doing what is require for their survival; we are there for recreation and enjoyment.

There is a REAL BIG DIFFERENCE.

the K

Ok, every one

I will be the bigger man in a situation like this.

I am SORRY for all what I did.

All the information that you have mentioned here is new to me. I learned a lot from this thread more than what I expected. I got my diving licence from a PADI instructor and then I got my advance diving licence in Dubai. No one has ever told me all what you have mentioned. I will say just this, I will never do touch any coral intentionaly ever again. Sometimes, the current is too strong or something like that, this is beyond my control.

I think that that is a something that PADI should consider.

I also think that this is a mistake driven by the diving society that we live in. We all do it and some are diving for more than 20 years and they do more than what we do.

I will ignore all the insult and rise above it all and learn from that. certainly, I know more about trigger fish and coral than I did before this thread.

Thank you every one, and sorry again.

Ok, every one

I will be the bigger man in a situation like this.

I am SORRY for all what I did.

All the information that you have mentioned here is new to me. I learned alot from this thread more than what I expected. I got my diving licence from a PADI instructor and then I got my advance diving licence in Dubai. No one has ever told me all what you have mentioned. I will say just this, I will never do touch any coral intentionaly ever again. Sometimes, the current is too strong or something like that, this is beyond my control.

I think that that is a something that PADI should consider.

I also think that this is a mistake driven by the diving society that we live in. We all do it and some are diving for more than 20 years and they do more than what we do.

I will ignore all the insult and rise above it all and learn from that. certainly, I know more about trigger fish and coral than I did before this thread.

Thank you every one, and sorry again.

I read this whole thread. And I watched the very painful video. I accept your apology. I also believe you. I truly think you were uneducated, and now you are educated. Please spread what you have learned.

C'mon, don't be so hard on the poor guys...they are obviously not divers. Look at the danglies and the snorkels :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom