Caught between PADI and an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum:
Point being, things can spin out of control before you even know anything has happened. Unless you happen to fax them everything they could possibly want the first time, trouble well may follow.

This seems to reflect a systemic problem. It would get much better if PADI also sent a fax and/or email as soon as they mail out such a letter which demands a reply or specific action.

Point taken. I've always phoned them or emailed them when I needed something and to date they've been very responsive and very quick to reply (Europe and Canada at least). I've noticed that their backoffice can run a little behind so that's something you'd need to keep in mind if you sent them an incident form (or anything else for that matter) and you know the clock is ticking. Also your UK pros who come to the states to work shouldn't be getting caught out on the backoffice lag either. They should be aware that it happens and drop them an email around the 5 month mark to ask for the status. One email. 2 minutes of work and alot of problems solved.

So I guess the lesson is be proactive.

R..

Drew Sailbum:
This seems to reflect a systemic problem. It would get much better if PADI also sent a fax and/or email as soon as they mail out such a letter which demands a reply or specific action.

You would think a fax or email (if available) would be automatic in these cases. Sometimes you really have to wonder what PADI is thinking.

Perhaps this instructor is no longer or shorty will be no longer on alert status. If so maybe PADI will process your nitrox card for you.

Have you called PADI to ask them what they plan to do for you? The victim here?

Would be interested to hear about the outcome of this. Interesting to see how PADI takes care of their customers.

How can you check out a local instructor's status?

man.... this sucks bricks through a straw

sorry about all the hassle

I have had international mail take months for delivery. Not only that, but many a time, faxes are not allowed because they do not contain an original signature. To add further complication, not everyplace has a fax machine or internet. Talking to someone over the phone can lead to a verbal agreement, but what is a international verbal agreement worth in court? PADI is in a rock and a hard place as well as the instructors. They have to be able to shut an instructor down who does not comply with their regulations, but they also need to allow time for the instructors to comply. Since a month of time for letter exchange could mean that they are allowing a bad instructor to turn out poor students under PADI's name I can understand the required quick turnaround time. However, What would it cost PADI to call up a Instructor and verbally tell him "UPS these documents to us, we need them in 2 weeks or we will suspend your teaching license?" I would think PADI would have more common sense then only 2 weeks for international mail. Heck, even in the USA that is pushing it..

simbrooks:
But of course that list could change by the day depending on how quick the mail is going out and in reply. :wink:

Well it would be more of a hassle but if one could track down a PADI instructor or LDS willing to do a ProCheck for you, it can be checked.

All we need to do a "ProCheck" is their PADI number and first two letters of their first name. It tells us if the instructor is in teaching status or not.

That is assuming PADI updates the ProCheck database on a regular basis.

MikeFerrara:
I don't know what you do if they don't want to give it back though. Does Mexico have a small claims court?

It is called PROFECO, and they are VERY powerful. Companies quake at the threat of them as they can close a business down until things are sorted out!

As far as the instructor being in administrative hold status, this does happen through lack of communication, but as has been suggested, FAX and Email eliminate the problem of slow mail services. Unfortunately, many instructors in Mexico are not as computer literate as other countries, and dont have the cash to make expensive international phonecalls.

PADI is working on easing this problem by getting a 1800 number that works from Mexico, this should be up and running very soon.

Sorry to hear that you got caught out on this one Funky but you got sold something that the instructor was not authorized to sell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom