Caution Piranhas in the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
It all started with an invite from JBD in Straits of Mackinaw

What a blast! Oh sure the water may be considered by some to be a bit nippy (in the 40-50 F range at depth), but let me tell you those wrecks are worth it!

Day one...
As I had packed the car the evening before, it was a simple case of rise, toss in the last minute things (food, u/w camera, self) and go. Fortunately for me my route was rather direct. One highway in Canada, one highway in the USA. The only real delays I had were waiting for some demolition work near Sudbury, and then the border crossing. That Mackinaw bridge is a real eye-opener. I was the first of the gang to get the hotel, so I just relaxed in my room taking it easy reading about the potential wrecks we would be visiting over the next two days. Before long the Kentuckians (JBD & Ckharlan66) arrived. You know those Piranhas aren't that scary in person.

As we all had enough of driving, we elected to walk to a near by restaurant. We were in the process off finishing off our meal when Ckharlan66 got the call to announce that the Ohio two-some (Big-T-2538 & BHumm) had also arrived. After giving directions how to walk over to the restaurant, we sat back awaiting their arrival. Not two minutes latter, Ckharlan66 said that perhaps it had not been a good idea to give them directions to walk --- the skies had opened up and it was coming down like the preverbal "cats and dogs". The boys arrived, greetings were passed around and teasing started. Before long, the last of the gang (wrecNcaver) was there. I am continually amazed how a bunch of strangers can get together and settle quickly into friendly kibitzing --- it must be something about divers.

We headed back to the hotel for some tentative dive planning. We decided what we would request to see, and hopefully the Weather gods would be nice to us (after all we were diving the Great Lakes) and we would get to the wrecks. As our first dives were not until the afternoon, we socialized for a bit, then lights out.

Day Two
Late rising, off to breakfast, then a convoy to the docks to find our charter - Abyss Charters . With wrecNcaver guiding the way, we found out where we had to be, then the group split off with some playing tourist, and others finding us a place that would be opened early for breakfast the next day. Both were successful in our goals. Then off we went to unload and wait for the good part --- going diving! Lost Yoopper and his dad showed up and we had the makings of a Wreckmania North. Before you knew it we heading out to our first wreck.

Wreck 1
Lake Huron - William Young I kidnapped this from Big-T's report "She was a 139' wooden schooner barge that. She weighed 325 metric tons, and was carrying 600 tons of coal when she went down on Oct. 5, 1891. She sits in about 118' of water upright and intact. " I hit 102, but did not go to the keel, and although I saw 43f on my computer (and I wasn't the only one), it recorded 57F as the max temp at depth. Hit the first thermocline at around 45ft, and boy did you know it. My buddy (wrecNcaver) and I dropped to the deck and toured this wonderful old wooden barge until it was time to return to the line. A slow ascent, pausing along the way at some lower "safety" stops then return to the bright sunshine of the surface.

A short ride to the next wreck, a good surface interval and we were back in the water.

Wreck 2
Lake Michigan - Sandusky, 83ft deep, 110ft long wood ship upright and intact. Scroll figurehead (a replacement as the original was removed to a museum for safekeeping after some ***** idiot tried stealing it from the ship ~ the area is a marine preserve, which has the rule "Thou shall not take anything from the wrecks, or you will be meeting a judge" (my interpretation, but that is what will happen if you break the rule)) bowsprit, jib boom and two anchors, dead eyses, old boots, wood stove and belaying pins. This, folks is a wreck that is a "must" see. Again I buddied with wrecNcaver, and had a great time.

Alas, the diving for the day was over (but not the good times). We headed back to harbour, and those that needed air dropped their tanks over at "the" fill station, and we all headed over to the Driftwood, where the good times continued. I discover Killian (sp?) -- not bad for an American beer (hehehe). The gang returned to the hotel and had a quick conversation on the plan for the next morning.

Day 3
The Ohio boys need a lesson on time keeping.... and that's all I'm saying about it. Once we were all up, loaded our cars we convoyed over to the Trucker's Stop for breakfast. We expressed some concern over the heavy fog and the ability to go out. Undaunted we return to the dock for our charter. No problem, we were on, and soon out on the lake heading to wreck 3.

Wreck 3
Lake Huron - Cedarville, max depth 105ft, 588ft long freighter. Intact and lying on her starboard side. Alas, my buddy had problems with her ears, and had to call the dive. So... my new buddies (JBD & Ckharlan66 ) headed down the descent line. We arrived at the ship's stern, and I think we all were saying "this is one big ship" the thing was massive! Our plan was descend to the rail, and proceed forward until we arrived at the crack in the ship which was the cause of her demise. It seemed like we were going forever! We finally got there, and I clearly understood that why this was a wreck that would take many visits to really see her. Awesome. We returned to our boat, and just as we were casting off, another charter showed up to take our place.

Wreck 4
Lake Huron - William H Barnum, max depth 74ft, 218ft long wood ship upright and mostly intact. Engines, boilers, windlass and other machinery still present. As Ckharlan66 had elected not to do the dive (something about wanting to be bright-eyed and bushy tailed for the drive home), JBD and I buddied up and head in. What can I say, yet another great wreck to see. Surprise, surprise, the charter that arrived on the previous wreck, arrived just as we were casting off the buoy.

Alas it was soon time to head back to dock, and say our good-byes. I met some great people this trip, and yes, Big-T even you. I headed north and an 8-hour drive home, the others all headed south with 5 to 10 hour drives back to their homes.

Other memoriable moments....
-- "You know, you're cute. Cute but stupid"
-- Getting a defination of what a yooper is
-- saying good morning to the Ohio boys

Oh I'm sure the others will say more..... I had a blast and look forward to visiting the area, and diving with this gang again.

JBD says he's organizing another for next year. My recommendation -- get your names in, and don't miss the trip!

an absolute pleasure to meet you. You dive reports above is great.

I am looking forward to seeing you all again.

Chad

Yes, great trip...even if my Sunday started at 4:30 AM....

I enjoyed the trip and hope to see all of you again sometime in the future.

with good company. Truly enjoyed the time with everybody. The wrecks were fabulous. Viz was better than 40 feet. Saw some small fish that reminded Chad of the wobegong shark. I caught some freshwater bugs which makes me think I need a trip to Florida during their bug season. Zebra mussles were everywhere so I spent some time watching them siphon food. On the Barnum I saw one fish that was about 12 to 14 inches long. Along with several baby burbots as wrecNcaver told us was the correct name for the ones that looked like wobegong sharks.

The bottom at the Young was limestone although some of it looked as though it had been molten at one time. The bottom at Barnum was silt at least 1 inch deep.

DivingGal had a book about the wrecks in the Great Lakes and wrecNcaver had brought some info she downloaded from the "net" so we had an idea what we were looking at before we got to the dive sites.

As was mentioned in the trip report I have made arrangements to dive with Abyss Charters next year. I hope we can fill both boats. Tentative plan is to have one boat that will carry those interested in penetration and some short deco hangs and the other boat will carry those interested in strictly recreational dives as we did on this trip.

I will say that one spot on the "tech" boat is taken :wink:

Sure glad you guys could come up to Michigan to dive the best wooden wrecks! As you saw, they are spectacular. And you only got to dive four. Lots more to see. Save a spot for me for next year, and hope you all can make it back.

Dive safe.

Diving Gal - it sounds as though all went well. Sort of wish I could have been there, fortunately/unfortunately I was high and dry in Vegas saying my "I do's".

Hopefully someone took some pics and will post.

Save me a spot on the boat....I don't care what the wife says, I'm going diving next year. Brian is almost certainly going with me also.

I'm not so sure we're going to do the "tech" thing, but I like the idea of making 4 dives in a day....I've already started scoping out some of the other sites, and even a travel route for the boat. Yeah, I probably need a life.

HEre's my trip report that I meant to link to earlier, but didn't

Big-T's Trip Report

jbd once bubbled...
... As was mentioned in the trip report I have made arrangements to dive with Abyss Charters next year. I hope we can fill both boats. Tentative plan is to have one boat that will carry those interested in penetration and some short deco hangs and the other boat will carry those interested in strictly recreational dives as we did on this trip.

I will say that one spot on the "tech" boat is taken :wink:

You know you can count me in... I'd go on either boat!

I'm always looking for a new place to dive!

Higgins lake two weeks ago was very good, and this weekend we're headed to Kingston for three days of diving, but I would be very happy to get involved in a trip to Mackinac and some diving there.

I can even bring the trailer and provide a bed for a couple other divers at a very affordable price (free!) as there are lots of good parks on both ends of the bridge.

Did I hear camping being involved??? Hmm...we are really going to have to only do one day of diving if camping is involved...I mean damn....beer, wreck diving, camp food, beer, and fire...could things possibly get any better?

That is if good old Mr. Tom would be willing to allow a reckless individual along with him....one big-t would greatly appreciate it.

The thought of camping in a tent with the possibility of crappy weather is terrible...but a trailer...ahhh...comfort....dry...ahh...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom