Cave line vs ziptie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where can I find out how to attach my SPG to my snap swivel using cave line?

a). Zipties break easy overtime or if twisted. Caveline properly attached will last years.
b). See point a
c). See point a
Thanks for the responses. I guess my counter is:

a). How brittle is a ziptie gonna get on one dive trip? Just replace them between trips when looking over your gear (it's what I do anyway).

b). The "twist and break" could be looked at as a feature - but if it is not desired, just use two zipties (makes it a lot harder to twist and break). Again, it's what I do.

c). Carrying a few spare zipties in a pocket, one could reasonably easily replace something that broke while still underwater. Seems like that would be a bit more difficult with cave line.

Of course, I'm addressing a non-tech diving environment, rather than caves and stuff. So far, I've not heard any reason why a rec diver or someone in a rec diving environment should avoid zipties.

FWIW, my ScubaPro lp-inflator CAME with zipties, holding things together at the top and bottom.

my recent experiance..

I had my SPG come untied from the bolt snap due to it being improperly tied (i.e. user error on my part), i recovered the bolt snap and secured it, quickly reattached it with a ziptie while on the dive (i carry 2 in my pockets), that ziptie failed before the end of the dive due to twisting when i was clipping off (i had it pretty tight). I did not recover the bolt snap that time.

i've retied it with cave line with no further issues now that my knots are better.

Cave line is less prone to failures when properly tied, more so when not tied correctly, im my experiance.

my recent experiance..

I had my SPG come untied from the bolt snap due to it being improperly tied (i.e. user error on my part), i recovered the bolt snap and secured it, quickly reattached it with a ziptie while on the dive (i carry 2 in my pockets), that ziptie failed before the end of the dive due to twisting when i was clipping off (i had it pretty tight). I did not recover the bolt snap that time.

I don't understand. If the SPG was clipped off and the line or zip tie broke, the bolt snap would still be attached to your d-ring.

What are you doing that causes the HP hose to twist enough to break a ziptie?

removal and replace on my left d-ring is all - the zip tie broke under "normal" load conditions while checking my spg.. the Moral to the story is that a slight twist broke the zip tie while clipping off (it was a 1.5" bolt snap, and you can twist it it prettty easy if you hook your fingers in the eye). it did not beak static while clipped off.
i lost the bolt snap while thinking WTF...

Crazy. Zip ties are really strong. Was it one of the really tiny ones (#18)?

No just a normal 6"er - i "think" it failed internally on the tab that holds it tight or it was previously damaged in someway, i don't really know . I don't think all zip ties are created equal thought some are better plastic than others (the black ones seem to break easier IMHO but that is a totally unscientific speculation on my part.

use cave line & tie it right - problem solved.

I am an electrican and use so many zip ties I should be a stock holder. One thing I can say is that while Zip Ties are strong and do not typically let go or break in a static situation when there is not stress on them if they are not really all that strong under stress or pinches, so if they were to be unknowingly put between a rock and a divers body the could much break easier than a line. When we use them we pull them tight around wires for instance give the excess end a few twist and it comes off leaving a smooth end so as not to cut someone that reaches in a panel, it does not take much of an effort so I would say in my expereience outside of diving with them they are strong in some ways but break rather easily. Another thing is that over time they do become more brittle not sure if its UV or whatever but I have seen them fresh out of a pack pull them tight and they break.

Not sure if that is an appropriate answer for this forum but I would say the line would be the better choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom