Cave training with Harry Averill? Experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to know also, please send me a PM if you want to keep it more private.
Who are you? Not really private sending it to someone who's anonymous on the forum lol

I did full cave with Harry starting with a week last June and finished up in November. Harry is obviously very knowledgeable, a good instructor and full of entertaining stories. In retrospect, I'm pissed that I didn't get to dive Cow Springs :wink:, so I guess Harry listened to the criticism. I also didn't get to train using sidemount, and was not encouraged to do so.

As for Harry's health, in the two weeks that we dove he never showed signs of any health-related limitations that would impact his diving. If he had any health problems, they were well under control. However, before our first cave dive Harry did clearly instruct us as to what to do if there was a health-related issue in a cave, which was for us to leave him there and get someone to recover his body. At that point we had done enough cavern and land-based training that we could have found our way out without Harry. I wouldn't hesitate to dive or take additional training with Harry, even after our final exam exercise in the back of Harper Tunnel at Little River.

before our first cave dive Harry did clearly instruct us as to what to do if there was a health-related issue in a cave, which was for us to leave him there and get someone to recover his body.
The teamwork being taught in these courses is simply world class, glad to know everything is being addressed.

A previous student lied to my cave instructor about his diabetes - was never disclosed. Went into diabetic shock in the cave, was swam out to his waiting wife, who revived him with some glucose solution. He was kicked out of class immediately.

Cave diving and especially instructing is not for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
A previous student lied to my cave instructor about his diabetes - was never disclosed. Went into diabetic shock in the cave, was swam out to his waiting wife, who revived him with some glucose solution. He was kicked out of class immediately.

Cave diving and especially instructing is not for everyone.

it is in cave country!

Last edited by a moderator:
it is in cave country!

Maybe so, but I think allowing overhead instructors with medical conditions that are generally regarded as contraindications for students to continue instructing is bull****.

But what do I know I'm not in the good ol' boy network.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom