Cave training with Harry Averill? Experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the stage limit has anything to do with what gas source you're breathing, (maybe the task loading is a slight portion of it).

New cave divers are pretty bad at picking drop locations for stage bottles. If you've swam Hill400 several times, you know that holding the stage for an extra 100ft gives you a solid rock to drop at rather than dropping it in the clay along the way. I've seen divers get blown out of JB distracted by reel work because those cave specific skills aren't developed yet-- thank goodness they weren't in any deco. Further reaches of caves-- even Ginnie result in lines being on the ceiling, which is really hard to keep track of when you're building experience, or was for me at least. I can think of several reasons why building experience before full cave dives is a good idea.

Do you feel you gained anything by doing the course zero to hero? It still took you 3 trips to pass, so your financial argument is irrelevant.

In hindsight, probably not ... but I think, given my background, doing a whole trip at the cavern/intro level would've been a waste. I could've done it in two trips ... I just decided not to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

doing a whole trip at the cavern/intro level would've been a waste.
Really? You couldn't keep entertained by diving the first 1000-1500ft of Ginnie, Little River, Manatee, Telford, Peacock (2 tunnels), Orange Grove, Hole in the Wall, Jackson Blue, Twin, Madison, Lafayette Blue, etc?

What changes in that extra 600psi after intro limits that makes the dive so much better?

from what i understand, the zero to hero option was invented for those who were already cave diving during the time the classes were starting up and needed to get a card and become official. they were never intended to be a viable option for someone without extensive cave experience. i do know someone who did his cave that way from a no-cave start, though he did cavern & intro, took a couple days off class & did some diving, then finished app & full, so it was 10 rather than 7 days.

i don't have a problem with people trying as long as they're gracious if it doesn't fall into place as they had hoped. i don't have a problem with an instructor offering it if they're rigorous about the student earning the cert & stopping them at whatever point is necessary.

Really? You couldn't keep entertained by diving the first 1000-1500ft of Ginnie, Little River, Manatee, Telford, Peacock (2 tunnels), Orange Grove, Hole in the Wall, Jackson Blue, Twin, Madison, Lafayette Blue, etc?

What changes in that extra 600psi after intro limits that makes the dive so much better?

James ... before this goes any farther ... I think I'm old enough and capable enough to make my own decisions about how, and with whom to train. Thanks for your concern, but I'm content with the decisions I made.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

James ... before this goes any farther ... I think I'm old enough and capable enough to make my own decisions about how, and with whom to train. Thanks for your concern, but I'm content with the decisions I made.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
No problem. I'm out diving tomorrow, but I'll be around Sunday if you'd like my opinion or concerns on anything else.

(fwiw, I don't have any issues with WHOM, my apologies if that was unclear. From the class reports I've heard, I think Jim's one of the better instructors out there)

Late reply....just joined the forum.

I am not a physician, so I do not feel qualified to dispute the findings of a qualified physician. IFany of this is true, and if Harry's physician signed off on his return to diving, so be it.

As for the comment of leaving him behind and not attempting a rescue, I tell all my students that exact same thing, as did the instructors that I interned/co-taught under. Why? Because students are just that, and have no business attempting anything resembling a rescue/recovery. I do not tell the students this as a cryptic veiled warning of any medical condition. Among the responsibilities of each student on each dive is the ability for them to always know where they are, and to always be able to exit alone in the event I fall victim to a surprise catastrophic health issue. Or in the event that we come upon a diver in distress, or already dead, like happened at Ginnie, with a class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom