Cave wanna be question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3:
New diver with only 38 dives and 2 months since OW cert. Don't have any problem doing frog kick with SP split fins, or going backwards, or doing helo turns. I still fin easier, but go faster than most of my buddies with minimal finning.

Try a pair of full fins and you'll see the difference. No way to tell whether you fin easier than someone else or not. Bottom line, split fins are made to be used with one kick. They are most efficient with short flutters made with the ankle. They are not very efficient in high current or long wide kicks. It's all in the design. I started with splits and changed to full fins when I started going tech. The full fins give my much better control than the splits ever did, with minimal effort.

i think Jason brings up a good point:

it's not a possible/impossible thing

it's a "making things easier/harder on yourself" thing, depending on
which equipment you use

you could go hiking in sandals, but it's just a lot easier to do it in boots

and you could go running in boots, but it's a lot easier to do it with running shoes

Caver95:
How on earth could it trap the line???

Ask Cesar at BWS, he got entagled on the rope at Morrison and had to free him self.

H2Andy:
you could go hiking in sandals, but it's just a lot easier to do it in boots

[Grupmy southerner]Boy, Ive been hicking in sandals for upteen years, now you come along and tell me Im wrong! I hate you![/Grumpy southerner]

Kicking isn't the only way you use your fins in a cave, either. You also need to be able to push off of the walls and ceiling with your fin tips - splits are too long and aren't stiff enough to do this effectively.

Brian

jtu:
I noticed in some threads that split fins are not recommended for cave diving. If your frog kicking what is the difference?

I am a caver and know first hand that split fins are not good for a frog kick. They make a slight wobble in the feet and legs during the frog kick.

I use the standard Scubapro Jetfin with spring straps, they provide excellent power in high flow caves.

Dive-aholic:
Try a pair of full fins and you'll see the difference. No way to tell whether you fin easier than someone else or not. Bottom line, split fins are made to be used with one kick. They are most efficient with short flutters made with the ankle. They are not very efficient in high current or long wide kicks. It's all in the design. I started with splits and changed to full fins when I started going tech. The full fins give my much better control than the splits ever did, with minimal effort.

I say that I fin easier than most that I dive with because I move as fast or faster by only doing a kick and then coasting then kicking again and coasting, while they are all constantly finning. Maybe I didn't use the right terminology in my first post.

Jasonmh:
Just wanted to point out that a back kick is different than "going backwards".
And the frog-kick can be done in pretty much any fins. The splits don't keep you from doing a frog kick, it is just that a frog kick without the splits generally gives you more power.

This is an area where my newness shows. I do a reverse frog kick. I don't know the technical term but I swim backwards.

It has been scientifically proven that the vortex from split fins will suck any and all line into them and trap the diver for a long sure death. They must not be used in any type of technical situation for this reason.

Bobby

Since the title of the thread is "cave wanna be question" I'll add this.

If you are seriously "wanna be" a cave diver but don't want to shell out the cash for new fins, stop before you get started. Cave diving is very equipment intense and is not cheap.

That said, good luck if you decide to pursue it (it's wonderful underground!).

Bobby F:
It has been scientifically proven that the vortex from split fins will suck any and all line into them and trap the diver for a long sure death. They must not be used in any type of technical situation for this reason.

Bobby
Plus, they look gay (not that there's anything wrong with that)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom