Cavernmania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Natasha,

Summer usually works pretty well for us, and I'm sure Lyd and I would love photomania, wreckmania-advanced, and possibly cavernmania (have to check that one with Lyd). Having just purchased an MX-10, we'd prefer if the course wasn't all about digital, but it doesn't sound like you're leaning that way.

Keep us posted!

Scuba-sass :)

Originally posted by scuba-sass
Hi Natasha,

Summer usually works pretty well for us, and I'm sure Lyd and I would love photomania, wreckmania-advanced, and possibly cavernmania (have to check that one with Lyd). Having just purchased an MX-10, we'd prefer if the course wasn't all about digital, but it doesn't sound like you're leaning that way.

Keep us posted!

Scuba-sass :)

I'm with you with the photo not being totally digital, as I have a MX-10 also (and unless the scuba gods are very, very kind... will be staying that wya for some time).

Natasha - yes Gadget has provided a wealth of info in the thread. Just goes to show you, the skills we learn for one are can apply to others.

OK...I didn't realize you were running them all back to back. I kinda like that. With only a couple of extra days, we should be able to do Wreck Cont., Photo, and Cavern within a 2 week period. I liked Gadgets comments on cavern training too. Makes a whole lot of sense. It's a strong definite maybe for us. How's that for commiting?!?

As for the photo instruction....I didn't mean ONLY digital photography. Underwater digital is still in the first stages and there aren't many scuba instructors who are experienced enough in it to teach the particulars. ANY instruction in regards to f/stops, shutter speeds and composition is useful for both film and digital users. I could care less about another C-card, but would love to have someone, not necessarily an instructor, help me with the tricks of using digital. I'm thinking about a photo class I took a couple of years ago sponsored by Sea & Sea. It covered the MX-10 and MMII cameras. I learned a tremendous amount of camera specific info in that class. If I had owned a Nikonos, I wouldn't have gotten nearly as much out of the class.

Sass and DG...I still have those notes and handouts from that S&S class if you're interested!

Originally posted by Dee
... It's a strong definite maybe for us. How's that for commiting?!?

hehehe -- just like me girl.

I could care less about another C-card, but would love to have someone, not necessarily an instructor, help me with the tricks of using digital.
That's me -- I'm after the training, not the c-cards (gad I have enough)

Sass and DG...I still have those notes and handouts from that S&S class if you're interested!

Oh please do --- What I know is from trial and error, and the oh so lovely video I got with the camera.

I have quite a big announcement.
I just got back from the scuba show here in Chicago.
I was lucky enough to work the Bonaire booth. While I was there guess who recognized me and walked over?
The one the only, My "Scuba God" .. Joel Silverstein.
Some of you know of him, some do not.
He has agreed to be our special guest speaker, and diver, on "Wreckmania Continues".
Yes, Joel will speak to us in class form, and dive with us in the Keys. He said he would like to dive the Duane and the Bibb amoungst other wrecks. Ok some of you are still sctaching your heads saying, "Who?"
So before I spill the beans, let me hear from those that do know Joel, or what he is known for.

Originally posted by Natasha
.....So before I spill the beans, let me hear from those that do know Joel, or what he is known for.

If memory serves....he's a very well known wreck diver/explorer. He helped develope safe technical diving procedures and also published Sub Aqua magazine. He's a very prolific writer of technical training manuals, articles, etc.

Very simplistic description that doesn't do him justice. I'd love to hear him speak or take one of his classes.

Joel coauthored both the YMCA and NAUI texts on nitrox as well as the nitrox section of the NOAA Diving Manual. He is the (one of the?) owner(s) of Abysmal Diving Inc. Abysmal is well known for software, especially software relating to decompression. It is becoming better known for equipment. Joel taught the YMCA Nitrox Instructor course where I became certified to teach nitrox. I only met him that one time (last October), but I found him to be knowledgeable and interesting.

What I know of Joel Silverstein:
  • serious wreck diver (A. Doria, Monitor ? etc)
  • author on mix gases (not sure about this, but I seem to remember seeing a book on Amazon)

and of course - Natasha knows him hehehe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom