Cayman Brac "kinda" live blog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

releck97

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're on the Brac for a week. I'll post when I get around to it.
We flew on Saturday from SYR-PHL-GCM-CYB. Delayed in PHL due to SpaceX launch window and POTUS flight schedule. Eventually got to GCM. We got lucky and were the only recent arrival and whisked right through customs and immigration. Checked our baggage to CYB. Rented a car and went straight to Sunset House for eats and drinks. Back at the airport..whoa boy. As most of you are aware, have patience. Not surprisingly, one of the screeners was out of order. The arrival lounge was a total madhouse and our flight on the Saab 340 was delayed 1.5 hours. We eventually got to the Brac around 7:30 PM. No luggage. Still waiting as of 8:30 Sunday morning. Staying on the northwest side in a private home on the beach. Perfect day for shore diving here. I'll pipe in later. Have a nice day!

Attachments

• Winta palm tree.jpg
    Winta palm tree.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 57
Staying in a private home with an interest in shore diving should make for a different report vs. the 'went to mainstream popular resort and had the usual good time' approach. Look forward to hearing more about the shore diving.

Richard.

Never, ever go through Grand Cayman to get to Cayman Brac.

If you haven't been there before, don't miss Scotts dock. Best single shore dive site in the Caribbean. I could dive from there every day. Something different depending on what direction you go.

If you haven't been there before, don't miss Scotts dock. Best single shore dive site in the Caribbean. I could dive from there every day. Something different depending on what direction you go.

How do you get to Brac without going through GCM? I know that in the past Cayman Air has offered some direct flights to Brac from Miami during the high season, but I don't know if that is still an option - and I wouldn't say that Miami is an improvement over GCM unless it lets you skip one airport stop.

We're on the Brac for a week. I'll post when I get around to it. We flew on Saturday from SYR-PHL-GCM-CYB. Delayed in PHL due to SpaceX launch window and POTUS flight schedule. Eventually got to GCM. We got lucky and were the only recent arrival and whisked right through customs and immigration. Checked our baggage to CYB. Rented a car and went straight to Sunset House for eats and drinks. Back at the airport..whoa boy. As most of you are aware, have patience. Not surprisingly, one of the screeners was out of order. The arrival lounge was a total madhouse and our flight on the Saab 340 was delayed 1.5 hours. We eventually got to the Brac around 7:30 PM. No luggage. Still waiting as of 8:30 Sunday morning. Staying on the northwest side in a private home on the beach. Perfect day for shore diving here. I'll pipe in later. Have a nice day!

Sorry you had such a hard trip, Cayman Air flies a jet from GCM to CYB on Sunday morning so your luggage should've have been on it.

I will also be interested to read your report as we usually stay at Cayman Brac Beach Resort and boat dive with Reef Divers. Which dive shop will you rent tanks from, Scuba Shack or Reef Divers? I still haven't dived Radar Reef and the City of Atlantis, if you get the opportunity to dive them please let me know if they are worth it.

I know that you don't want to think about the return trip yet because you just got there, but here are a few tips for when you need them, maybe they will make the trip home a little easier.

In case you have a long layover on Grand Cayman on your trip home. The Georgetown Yacht Club is only a few minutes from the airport and they run a free shuttle from the airport every 15 minutes - or you can take a quick cab ride. You can sit overlooking the marina and enjoy drinks and good food. It is the same restaurant company that owns Macabuca and the Cracked Conch on Grand Cayman and they have excellent cracked conch and a good menu, see the link below.

When you fly back to GCM from CYB, don't let them herd you into the incoming visitors immigration and custom line. Get in the returning residents line and tell them that you are doing interisland transit returning from Brac. They will let you into the luggage terminal to collect your bags. There are free luggage carts, collect your bags and go outside then turn left and immediately go back inside the main terminal to recheck your bags for your flight home. You then have to go through security and exit customs and immigration to get to the departure lounge for your return trip.

If you don't have enough time to leave the airport during your layover, you may want to go upstairs to the Hungry Horse get food and drinks before you go through security, if you have time. There is an elevator if you have bags with you. The HH isn't much, but you can sit and watch the planes take off and land, and it is better than the only food stand (also owned by HH) in the departure lounge.

When we stay at the CBBR (or the Little Cayman Beach Resort) Cayman Air gives us the option to each back a bag and ship it to GCM the evening before our departure. We usually pack up our dive gear and send it ahead and it is waiting for us in the luggage terminal when we arrive at GCM. I know that CA has made these arrangement with the resorts but I don't know how it would work with a private residence, but you could ask CA if you are interested in that option.

Have a great trip!

GEORGE TOWN YACHT CLUB

Last edited:
How do you get to Brac without going through GCM? I know that in the past Cayman Air has offered some direct flights to Brac from Miami during the high season, but I don't know if that is still an option - and I wouldn't say that Miami is an improvement over GCM unless it lets you skip one airport stop.

Cayman Airways offers direct flights from MIA to CYB. Currently returns have to transit GCM to comply with TSA screening requirements.

Summer Schedule valid March 13, 2017 to Nov 5, 2017
Saturdays: depart MIA 11:05am arrive CYB 11:30am flight KX 125
that must be the direct flight

But it also lists
Friday & Sundays: depart MIA 5:20pm arrive CYB 7:00pm flight KX 105
but given that flight number I am sure it stops in GCM on the way to CYB.

Winter schedules through March 11 also show the Saturday flights. Depart MIA at 10:30am. .

A lazy day on the Brac. We managed one dive on the Tibbetts. Great viz, flat seas. Just two divers (us) on it. Rented tanks from Brac Reef Resort...not the original plan, but Scuba Shack was closed temporarily to get a boat out when we went by. Ate at Star Island Restaurant tonight. Great prices, excellent food.

How far is the wall from Scott's Dock?

Hungry Horse is now closed. It sailed for the last time on January 26th. They are demolishing it as a part of the expansion.

Wow, I didn't know that, so now there are no eat-in restaurant options in the GCM airport? Is the Hungry Horse food counter still open in the departure lounge?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom