Censorship and SB..how far are we going to take this???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, thats why I spend so much time in Florida. I can be in Florida sooner than I can be at the Flower Gardens.

Again, thanks for the input! We are in the final stages of a New Mission Statement and a New ToS which will be released later this week. You will see a few of the suggestions from this thread incorporated into those documents, but not to the point where we will be having a free for all. Much of the attraction of :sblogo: is the moderation. After all, we don't need the flame fests we find on rec.scuba or other forums! Respect and friendliness should rule the day! I think you will like what we came up with and I will be sure to post a link back here for you to ponder.

Again, thanks for the input! We are in the final stages of a New Mission Statement and a New ToS which will be released later this week. You will see a few of the suggestions from this thread incorporated into those documents, but not to the point where we will be having a free for all. Much of the attraction of :sblogo: is the moderation. After all, we don't need the flame fests we find on rec.scuba or other forums! Respect and friendliness should rule the day! I think you will like what we came up with and I will be sure to post a link back here for you to ponder.

Don't forget my suggestion for the name change to ScubakevdmBoard. It's only five additional letters.

Perhaps you could implement an experimental "casual Friday" ... wherein the rules get relaxed (in certain forums) for the day ... just to see how the membership handled it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was just going to say that if anything this thread (unfortunately) showed me that there might be some truthiness to what was claimed about SB mods acting on a certain bias. I had been reluctant to believe in such silliness but I guess someone wanted to demonstrate it to me personally. However, since I notice the person is no longer a mod, I guess I kinda lost my ammo. I am sure these kinds of little "plays" will lead to disenfranchisement if they keep on repeating.

This is maybe material for another feedback thread but what’s the point of the “thanks”? Isn’t that if anything a little 5th grade gold star system? Especially when they are often just used to show whose pal you are or whose jokes you laugh at? This thread is a good example. Guess it’s no harm but since I never used them I want to know if I as a regular member can also keep on giving and then withdrawing them “to make a point”?? Or do I need special powers for that kind of advanced behavioral modification? …

I thought of the "Thanks" system as a way to agree with a post without having to actually submit a post just agreeing with someone. But since there is no reward for having thank yous on your posts, who cares if someone's cronies all thank them for a post? I doubt there is any system where you can guarantee someone won't try to use it for their own gain.

I was just going to say that if anything this thread (unfortunately) showed me that there might be some truthiness to what was claimed about SB mods acting on a certain bias. I had been reluctant to believe in such silliness but I guess someone wanted to demonstrate it to me personally. However, since I notice the person is no longer a mod, I guess I kinda lost my ammo. I am sure these kinds of little "plays" will lead to disenfranchisement if they keep on repeating.
In theory ... unless a staff member is actively moderating a thread, they're as free to express their personal opinion as anyone else. You may not agree with it, but it shouldn't automatically be taken as a sign of "mod bias" ... when I was moderating there were several occasions where I would express myself one way, but moderate in a different way because of either decisions made by senior staff or because I was trying to be fair. It's not an easy tightrope to walk, but at the end of the day you still need to log off of here with your integrity intact ... and I think most mods try to do that.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SB mods acting on a certain bias.
Everyone has a bias. Anyone who tells you differently is a politician! If a moderator ever abuses their position, please report this to abuse@ScubaBoard.com. I read and respond to these e-mails which are infrequent. Please be specific and use links to help me see what you see!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom