Question Certification cards!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do what @Marie13 does but I also care a copy of my nitrox unless another is warranted.

What's an "Everything card"?

Is that like Dr Who's psychic paper?
1644246697649.png

Which agency are you talking about? You've a choice of dozens.

What about defunct cards that are just as valid -- those old YMCA ones?

Or is it just one big dive agency that counts?

I think you have to go on the different agency's site.

That's basically saying anything PADI teaches which they can nail a "Tek" moniker to? How does that work for all the different variants of CCR? Does PADI do cave yet?

Would be nice if there was a "AllScuba" card which is a single place to check someone's credentials for ALL current and future agencies. Thinking this would be some form of ID and an associated list of your other certifications on a database; your "AllScuba" ID would give access to your certs.

That's basically saying anything PADI teaches which they can nail a "Tek" moniker to? How does that work for all the different variants of CCR? Does PADI do cave yet?
PADI does have a cavern specialty, but I think I remember others posting it wasn’t accepted when they took intro to cave and had to redo cavern.

No it doesn't.
I'm the only one who has that card, as far as I know.
PADI does have a cavern specialty, but I think I remember others posting it wasn’t accepted when they took intro to cave and had to redo cavern.
Not true. Two of my cavern students were accepted into intro-to-cave last year.

Which agency are you talking about? You've a choice of dozens.

What about defunct cards that are just as valid -- those old YMCA ones?

Or is it just one big dive agency that counts?
Oooh. I need to remember that. I have one of the old YMCA cards. I might just have to show that one the next time I'm asked. Photo doesn't really look much like me any more either.

Would be nice if there was a "AllScuba" card which is a single place to check someone's credentials for ALL current and future agencies. Thinking this would be some form of ID and an associated list of your other certifications.
I don't see an independent company, or an alliance forming any time soon to implement something like this. However, there may be an easier solution. My First Aid card has a QR code that anyone can use to confirm that it is valid. This is probably doable, and could be handled by the individual agencies and apply automatically to e-cards. QR code is shown to whoever is asking for it, and they can use that to connect to the agency's website to confirm it's legit. That should be fairly easy. The SSI App does allow for sharing my card with anyone I need to. I can email, text, or send via Airdrop, etc. It's just a couple images, but seems like it would be a good viable solution for those that want to hold onto the card. Whether they would accept it, is another question.

I'm rarely asked for my card, so it generally doesn't really matter for me. In fact, I seem to recall maybe two instances where I was asked for my card. One was at a shop for a fill. Only once. The other was was when I was joining an organization as a volunteer diver. Other than that, I've not been asked. I don't normally do charters, so that's probably why.

The only cert card I carry with me is my nitrox and EFR. I've never been asked to produce either but whatever.
The dive boat ops that offer in-house training tend to be sticklers about each diver presenting exactly the right card for the dive at hand. I can't imagine why there is a correlation between the two, but it's definitely a thing.

Anyway, back to the original question. I prefer physical cards. Most of my cards were issued by NAUI and I think it's around $5 for a replacement should I ever need one. I do keep a photo of my cards on my phone but I've never actually needed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom