Charleston, SC diving viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8fulr2:
What is the viz in Charleston area around this time?
If you're diving offshore, figure on between 10 and 40 feet. Less closer to shore, more as you move out. Depends on the location, currents, and recent weather.

If you're diving the Cooper River, figure on zero viz, and you won't be disappointed. Ranges from less than a foot to ... well, best I've ever seen was about 5 feet through tannic water, using my 18 watt HID cannister light.

It varies depending on the tide, the distance offshore and about a million other things. Take a look at www.charlestondiving.com and there are reports from this past weekend etc. You can get a good idea from that. I went offshore about 30 miles to some ledges and the vis was about 80 feet that day. If you are coming to Chas, check out Atlantic Coast Dive Center in Mt. Pleasant. They have a web page. They are great guys and are running charters every Saturday on the Dixie Diver. You can't ask for a better bunch of guys.

sidwise:
If you're diving offshore, figure on between 10 and 40 feet. Less closer to shore, more as you move out. Depends on the location, currents, and recent weather.

I've seldom seen the viz be this bad "offshore" this time of year, unless a hurricane just passed through. Usually at least 60 - 80 feet.

I second ACDC in Charleston. Good shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom