Charter's Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diveratt

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Alright guys - my excuse for not weighing-in on SB is work and home functions have laid heavy on me the last couple of weeks. Also explains part of my absence from Joe's. They other part is saving for a Florida charter the first week of July.

This will be my first excursion not in a quarry. A couple of questions to you all-knowing, wise ones -

1 - When selecting a charter, what questions do you ask them? This is a blind trip, in that I have no personal references.

2 - What is and how do you determine an appropriate tip for the boat? For say a $100 - $125, two tank excursion.

3 - Any other tips or advice?????

Thanks!!

Kenny (K2)

Diveratt:
Alright guys - my excuse for not weighing-in on SB is work and home functions have laid heavy on me the last couple of weeks. Also explains part of my absence from Joe's. They other part is saving for a Florida charter the first week of July.

This will be my first excursion not in a quarry. A couple of questions to you all-knowing, wise ones -

1 - When selecting a charter, what questions do you ask them? This is a blind trip, in that I have no personal references.

2 - What is and how do you determine an appropriate tip for the boat? For say a $100 - $125, two tank excursion.

3 - Any other tips or advice?????

Thanks!!

Kenny (K2)

Hey Kenny,
Where in Florida are you going? As for questions, how far out will you be going, what type of diving will you be doing and how deep, also make sure they have all the safety stuff you may need, and about all the boats will have. Tips, there has been a lot of debate about this, I have seen $10.00 up to $20.00, I think it's how well your dive experience was and your Dive Master, as to how much you want to tip. Other things take something for sea sickness, water and something to eat. Get to the boat about thrity mintues early, this will give time to settle in, and if you forgot anything, You will have time to correct the problem..And the most important thing, have a good time

Kenny (K1)

Cool, I wish I were going with you! What Kenny said, $10-20, depends on
how well the hand/s on board take care of you! Make sure you have a dive duffel,
I forgot mine once, wasn't too bad, I just wrapped it all up in by bc and used my
weight belt to tie it all together. Is this a six pack or a head boat?
When you drop off the boat just relax and put your face in the water and chill for
a bit on the line. Have a great time I'm sure you will love it!

Sorry guys - I posted a note the other night and apparently I had been kicked off before it took! Thanks for the advice and comments!

We are going to be in Jacksonville. Not a lot of charters I can find, but this one stuck out -

http://www.atlanticprodivers.com

They charge $70 for two tank dives. Most of the time they hit wrecks, which is what I'm interested in. What you guys said about the tips is in line with what I was thinking. It is a six pack boat and the guy on the phone talked a good game. I'm probably going to lock in with them next week. A little apprehensive, but really looking forward to it! I figure going from 2-4' vis at Joe's to 30+ will be a nice change. I'm going to try not to get spoiled!

Keep any thoughts coming!

K2

I would also check to see if they have any goofy things that you must bring. For example some opperations say a snorkle is a must...for high seas or whatever. Pensacola wants a signal sausage... Also please take a bag for all of your stuff and only take the stuff you think you will need or want. Keep all of your stuff rounded up as well. When you get out of the water put your gear in a hook and chill out. Everyone tries to get their gear ready for the next dive and get in the way. Finally get a good detailed dive breif before and you can plan your dive ahead of time. If you've never dove the area pay for the guide...it's worth it. Good luck.

I'll ask about that when I call them back. Good points. He said they get a lot of repeats and they would pair me with the dive master depending on what kind of group they had. I'm guessing that would be considered the guide? I've got a big duffel that I carry the stuff dry to a site, then have a large mesh bag for putting the wet stuff in when demob'ing. I can put the dry back on top in the wet bag then. Still working the kinks out of the system and need to make sure I'm carrying ONLY the stuff I need.

Thanks!
K2

If I can talk the wife into it, I'd like to do a week on a live aboard. We had talked about taking a cruise, but I think I would enjoy that more and she still enjoy the downtime. I think some I've seen make port calls at some of the popular cruise spots.

Well, I'm a little bummed out - the dive trip didn't make. Checked in at the scuba shop yesterday when we arrived in Jacksonville and there were only three signed up. They called today and the captain had cancelled. Having a good vacation none the less. Found a neat little dive shop to listen to war storie in. So all is not lost!

Now that just sucks! Sounds about like the luck I have with the trips through the LDS.

Back
Top Bottom