CHDK Hack - possible added functionality to some Canon Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using CHDK on a Canon G7, works flawlessly and autoloads. Just wish Canon would pull their head out of their a** and give us a real firmware update with RAW like the G9.

Using CHDK on a Canon G7, works flawlessly and autoloads. Just wish Canon would pull their head out of their a** and give us a real firmware update with RAW like the G9.

Why on earth would they do that? Its not in their business interests and would take away a lot of the market from the high end G-series.

Its very common in all areas of electronics to make the same circuit for several modules and enable/disable different features depending on the price target.

Canon are far more likely to make the firmware harder to dump and hack in future models to PREVENT this. I suspect they're not happy that you can hack the low end modules to have high end features at all.

Have any of you heard/tried/seen the hack work for the S80?

I understand the point about market segmentation, but I think you missed the fact that the G7 was their top of the line point and shoot and they released the G9, a nearly identical camera, nine months later with RAW in the official firmware.

Its not in their business interests and would take away a lot of the market from the high end G-series.

I understand the point about market segmentation, but I think you missed the fact that the G7 was their top of the line point and shoot and they released the G9, a nearly identical camera, nine months later with RAW in the official firmware.

Yes - so they want you to buy a G9 for RAW mode rather than spending no more money with them. And they want to stop people buying cheap G7s when they want them buying G9s.

I have tried to change the <ALT> button with the G7, but that option isn't supported by CHDK firmware for the G7. Unfortunate.

Just an update for anyone interested: the latest "allbest" firmware version for the G7 now allows you to change the <ALT> button from the shortcut button to the AE Lock/FE Lock button. This change allows people who use the WP-DC11 housing to shoot in manual mode and change the shutter speed and aperture!

SO I just uploaded the CHDK hack for my Canon A630! First let me say that it was easy, fairly intuitive, and incredibly seamless (well the only weird event was when I opened the download it wanted to repeatedly open endless new tabs in Firefox??)

When I press the shortcut to activate the RAW function on my A630 I get no indication that is is actually activated. Is this a "its just on" kind of thing or is there an icon that I am supposed to see to know that it is on?
For my camera its the Direct print (ALT) and +/- buttons. I press them and noting appears to happen??

Live bat indicator
live histograms
zebra mode

ALL VERY COOL!!!

Have any of you heard/tried/seen the hack work for the S80?

Not that I've seen so far. And believe you me, I've been hoping they will... RAW would make a great little camera that much greater.

I check the page periodically, hoping someone will do one. I wish I had the skillz...

I just bought a new S80 so i am also checking for an update.
Nice camera. Much better than the S70 in some respects. But more noise & lack of raw

Back
Top Bottom