Cheap Bastard Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had dives where both of us had forgotten our computers... :blush: Knowing we'd be well within the NDL limits when diving to a maximum depth of 10M by the time our gauges would read 50 bar, we went in anyway.

Wow, and you made it out alive???? By the opinion of a lot of folks here you should be either dead or sentenced to die!:D

What is it about scuba diving that brings the cheap bastards out of the woodwork?:365:

It is far less expensive to be outfitted with high end scuba diving equipment than it is to be similarily outfitted with equipment for any of the above sports.

The equipment and education associated with diving are designed to keep you alive and help with a comfortable and enjoyable experience.:cloud9:

Most of the equipment, with the exception of helmets, associated with the other sports is purely for performance and status, and rarely do people gripe about it.

Have I accurately observed this, or have I been sniffing too much glue?:lotsalove:

Why would you want to be equipped with high end equipment, when low end would do? I've seen more problems with newly serviced highend stuff than my trusty old sherwood. Why do I need an expensive time piece when a Walmart $7 special watch will do (till you dove it in salt water, I've just found out!!)

The right to complain is part of being american.

For the record, I have never bought any gear second hand. The reason being is that doing so voids the warranty. Given that a second hand set of gear will most likely need to be checked out and over-hauled after a purchase, it doesn't really make sense to do so. Would cost pretty much about the same, assuming the new stuff is reasonably priced in the first place.

I've bought at least half of my stuff used. Many items, like fins and backplate and weights, are safe enough for anyone to buy used. Other items, like regs and wings, can be safe for those who know enough to check them out properly. About the only thing that needs "service" is regs but there's a lot of gear in my kit in addition to regs. Even with service you can get a great deal. I bought a DR RG2500 from a well known user here for $150 and added in $70 for service, new price is over $400. Most used stuff can be had for half of new, or less.

I worked in a bike shop for 7 years, and maybe it was the market we were in, but in my experience cyclists are far cheaper than divers.

I owned one ... back before the internet I used to get dozens of complaints about why I could not match bike nashbar for prices.. by the same people who would complain about me charging them to install their mail order parts. don't even get me started on warrenty!

Yes golfers do the same things as to skiers.. especially on the net where you can whine nice and safe..

I've bought at least half of my stuff used. Many items, like fins and backplate and weights, are safe enough for anyone to buy used. Other items, like regs and wings, can be safe for those who know enough to check them out properly. About the only thing that needs "service" is regs but there's a lot of gear in my kit in addition to regs. Even with service you can get a great deal. I bought a DR RG2500 from a well known user here for $150 and added in $70 for service, new price is over $400. Most used stuff can be had for half of new, or less.

It's not that I am knocking it. I've just never done it. The prices on new gear here are reasonable and there are not a lot of options for servicing. Most all the shops send their gear to the same person.

In addition, age of things can make a differnce. Plastic don't last forever and things become discontinued. Most of the time, folks sell their gear because they haven't used it in years or they've bought low end and want to upgrade. Furthermore, as a gal my options on a second hand gear is usually limited to a bunch of pink gear.

Actually, I did buy one item second hand. I bought my current Seaquest wetsuit from a shop's rental gear that they were replacing with another brand. Looked like it had been worn twice (once by me) for $100. My husband did the same and got a suit that still had styrofoam peanuts and plastic inside!

When it comes to a BCD, regulator or dive computer though, I'd only go with new. I want some recourse if I got a lemon. And I do my research beforehand.

Most of the time, folks sell their gear because they haven't used it in years or they've bought low end and want to upgrade.

Not really. I buy almost EVERYTHING second hand. I've seen great gear at home liquidations due to death, divorce, empty nest, etc. As a woman, you could find geat that teenagers have outgrown. Some people are compulsive consumers - they have to always have the newest and latest, often casting aside things only a year old. People are no longer able to dive for medical reasons, and you'd be amazed how many people just quit diving when they get married, have kids, graduate and get a real job, etc. Spouses who were presented with a complete set of gear and didn't want to dive is another common source. Heck, I bought a motorcycle from a guy who was getting rid of all his toys because he was quitting his job and going into the seminary. Turned out when I went to see the bike, he was a diver, and I got him to throw in a Viking dry suit with the bike.

When it comes to a BCD, regulator or dive computer though, I'd only go with new. I want some recourse if I got a lemon. And I do my research beforehand.

A car is far more complex than any of piece of dive equipment, and degraded far more by normal use, and statistically more likely to cause a human death, but it's a fool's deal to buy new and pay a 30% premium just to be the first name on the title history,

Not really. I buy almost EVERYTHING second hand. I've seen great gear at home liquidations due to death, divorce, empty nest, etc. As a woman, you could find geat that teenagers have outgrown. Some people are compulsive consumers - they have to always have the newest and latest, often casting aside things only a year old. People are no longer able to dive for medical reasons, and you'd be amazed how many people just quit diving when they get married, have kids, graduate and get a real job, etc. Spouses who were presented with a complete set of gear and didn't want to dive is another common source. Heck, I bought a motorcycle from a guy who was getting rid of all his toys because he was quitting his job and going into the seminary. Turned out when I went to see the bike, he was a diver, and I got him to throw in a Viking dry suit with the bike.

If that's your preference, have at it. When I've looked at second-hand gear for sale here, I didn't see much of a deal. Most folks who are selling want to sell the whole kit and kaboodle and try to recoup what they paid for it. And I don't want someone's wife's gear. Very likely, she didn't purchase the gear of the quality I wanted. I don't have to have a new thing every year, but I don't mind paying for what I want as long as I think that the price is reasonable. I have also purchased second-hand tanks. However, they weren't that old and were still in VIP and hydro.

A car is far more complex than any of piece of dive equipment, and degraded far more by normal use, and statistically more likely to cause a human death, but it's a fool's deal to buy new and pay a 30% premium just to be the first name on the title history,

I usually buy those used, because there's lots of places and people to fix them the prices to do so are usually reasonable. My last car, however, I did buy new. However, I only paid a 3% mark up over dealer invoice at the start of the model year. In addition, of the brand, the price of a four year old second-hand model wasn't low enough for me to want something that someone's taken crap care of for four years! I also wanted a vehicle that would hold it's value and outrun the time it was going to take for me to pay it off. At this point, my car is 8 1/2 years old and the Kelley blue is still over $10K. And it's not a high end car. It's a Honda. So it just goes to show, if you shop around, you can really get the best deal and you don't necessarily always need to purchase someone's second-hands.

I have had dives where both of us had forgotten our computers... :blush: Knowing we'd be well within the NDL limits when diving to a maximum depth of 10M by the time our gauges would read 50 bar, we went in anyway.

I can attest to this, but it was one of you.... YOU, and you went much deeper than 10M! :rofl3:

Why spend more money than you have too? (especially on a firefighters income). My gear probably didnt cost near as much as some people have invested in their own gear and it has gotten me to the bottom of where I am diving and back to the surface alive, everytime I have used it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom