Check Cozumel Port Status anytime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Punta Molas Adventure | Adrian Cozumel

Looks interesting!

But I suspect this tour is also out when the port is closed as Adrian takes you to the north side via boat.

He does several tours - there are things he can do when the port is closed. I am working with him to put together non-diving day options :) They will be on my website as well.

He does several tours - there are things he can do when the port is closed. I am working with him to put together non-diving day options :) They will be on my website as well.
I really enjoyed talking with him when he was involved in the day-to-day operation of Especias. We also ran into him one night a few years ago waiting tables at Casa Denis; I believe his dad is one of the owners.

He usually is there at Casa Denis every other Sunday.

Looks like everyone will get their chance to try these options Monday.

I am happy to report I finally got in the water 4 months after being certified! 6 dives down... 4 tomorrow and if the gods can be appeased for Monday 4 more (but not looking good).

I am happy to report I finally got in the water 4 months after being certified! 6 dives down... 4 tomorrow and if the gods can be appeased for Monday 4 more (but not looking good).
Tomorrow (Monday) looks OK but Tuesday... not so much.
Windguru

Tomorrow doesn't look so bad, but Tuesday is a definite blow out if the forecast doesn't change.

Status is current on my site with dive report and outlook for the next couple of days

Visit el Museo de Cozumel (their web site says it's closed for renovations :( ).

Actually, the museum is still open, but it will close very soon for big-time renovations.

Anyone know what a "sound house" is?
This is a quaint Cozumel legend that has several variations. All versions contain similar claims that certain Maya buildings had shells (sometimes giant ones, sometimes groups of small ones) on their roofs that made sounds that could predict the weather. Makes a good story, and Cozumelenos love a good story.

The small ruin in Adrian's image is of one of the two small oratorios on the arrecife islet in Rio de la Plata. It is the islet that has a sacbe running through the lagoon from the south shore of the lagoon to it and another leading from it to the north shore of the lagoon. There were several other small ruins that were similar to this one in the northern lagoons, but now they are just piles of rocks where people have torn them down looking for loot. One still has the front wall standing, but is on its way to oblivion as well...

COZ28AGOST3501-14-web-690x360.jpg

Above: Arrecife

There were three similar ruins at Punta Sur: Celarain I, Celarain II, and an unnamed one at the entrance to Laguna Columbia. The first two were destroyed in the late 70s. The one at Laguna Columbia is still there. There is also a small complex of shrines called Tumba de Caracol (or El Caracol) on the south side of the dirt road leading to the lighthouse, right by the observation tower near the entrance to the park. The largest building in this complex (the others are now buried under the sand dune) has a truncated cone on the roof with several conch shells inserted in the mortar as decoration. A local legend says that the cone once supported a super-large conch that would whistle when a hurricane was brewing. In reality, the tip of the mortar cone was broken off by local treasure hunters in the 1960s and never sported a super-large shell of any sort.

caracol03-300x172.jpg

Above: El Caracol

Port is closed as of 7pm tonight. Christi, please update your website :)

Forget the boats. When port is closed and I'm on vacay, I'd be happy if my shop took us over there and offered a few guided shore dives. It may not be on par with boat diving but... it's diving.

We have done just that last week. When December was so crappy I had my staff and I do a few exploration shore dives on the east side. We now have a few spots to take our divers when port is closed. The depth is about 30-40 feet with nice coral heads and even got some eagle rays in last week.

8:30am Dec 17.
Port closed.
This resource was last updated on the 15th.
Any accurate sources for port status?

Back
Top Bottom