Chicago Diving Party

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was jepuskar's idea originally and I don't want to step on his toes by taking this over. He's still around and knows that this is back on the burner, let's see if he's still interested/able to set it up. If we don't hear from him sorta soon I'll take a stab at it.

Steven

Has it ever been brought up to start a Chicagoland NDI Chapter?

I'd be glad to help out, as well. Hey Jason, jump in here & update us.

Kat, Jep PMd me yesterday and said that he's too busy to arrange this, so he said Reefraff has taken over...

Jepuskar's schedule (and, perhaps, intelligence) prohibit him from putting the rest of this together, so I'm going to take a stab at it. I'll be in touch with the charter operators I mentioned in my post a few days ago to try and set up the dives indicated, so if anyone has any suggestions or objections, now is the time.

Once the information is available, I will post the particulars for the dives. If anyone that wants to participate needs gear or a place to sleep, I'll take those issues on one-by-one. I thought it would be nice to spend several meals together, but I'd like to be flexible about monopolizing everyone's time 24 hours a day. Getting to and from Chicago will be left up to the participants, but getting any visitors around Chicago we can work on together.

This will need to happen quickly and everyone should be prepared to put some money on the barrel head. We'll see what the charters say, but I think they're going to want to see some cash before they'll hold the seats for us. I hope to have some concrete information available by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

Gotta go - we're diving in the morning and I haven't packed yet.

Steven

Darn, a Chicago chapter, just when I'm moving to Texas!
Yep, I wish we would have done this a year ago. We tried, actually, but it just didn't happen.
Anyway, have fun everyone.
I'll be moving to Houston June 6th 2003.
PS. Steven I know you can do it all!

Reefraff,
I trust your judgement on picking the wrecks to dive. As I mentioned before, I can only dive on Sunday. There maybe 2 of us, if I can talk my boyfriend into it. A deposit will be no problem, to hold our spots.
I'd be glad to help you out in anyway you might need. Getting local hotel info & prices, restaurant ideas, transportation (carpools) Feel free to delegate, as this might turn out to be a rather large project.

:thumb:
So, who wants to go diving in Chicago/Milwaukee this summer? Long discussed, it’s time to put your intentions to the test. Here’s a chance to take the plunge in Southern Lake Michigan – 4 dives, 2 days, meet some scubaboard types and have tons of fun…it’s a small party because I really want to make sure it happens, if all goes well I’m sure that there will be more opportunities in the future!

Saturday, July 19th
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Two dives, 2pm departure, $80.00 per person if we fill all six seats on the boat.

Dive #1: The Prinz Willem V (the “Willie”)
Depth to Wreck: 45 feet
Depth to Bottom: 60 feet
Maximum Depth: 95 feet

The Willie was a 258 foot Dutch freighter headed home from Milwaukee with a miscellaneous cargo in October 1954 when she collided with another vessel under tow. Today the Willie sits on the bottom of Lake Michigan about 3 miles off the coast of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and is one of the most popular wreck sites in the southern basin. The bottom is heavy clay marl and the mild currents have dug a hole about 25 feet deep that the Willie has settled into, listing heavily to her starboard side. For those with penetration training (really – this ship has killed a number of divers that thought they could macho it out) this is a great wreck with lots of passageways and silt and all that good stuff. For those without penetration training, this is a great wreck with huge open holds and lots of nooks and crannies to check out without putting anything between you and the surface.

Dive #2: The Dredge 906 (a/k/a the “No. 6 Dredge)
Depth to Wreck: 30 feet
Depth to Bottom: 75 feet

The 906 was a large crane barge that capsized during a storm in May 1956 taking nine members of her crew to the bottom with her. The wreck now sits upside down on the bottom, held up by the crane, with equipment and debris scattered across the bottom beneath her. This is a great wreck for new and intermediate wreck divers – lots of pass-throughs and easy twilight zones that don’t require any line.

Sunday, July 20th
Chicago, Illinois
Two dives, 2pm departure, $90.00 per person if we fill all six seats on the boat.

Dive #1: The St. Mary
Depth to Wreck: 90 feet
Depth to Bottom: 105 feet

A 120 foot wooden schooner built in 1848, the St. Mary foundered in a storm one night in September 1860 with a loss of seven lives. Carrying a load of pig iron, she wasn’t rediscovered until recently and is one of my favorite sites in Chicago. Partially collapsed, she isn’t a penetration dive, but has a fair amount of her original gear still intact, including capstans, deadeyes and even some rigging. Some say that this wreck might not be the St. Mary, but ultimately who cares – it’s still a great one.

Dive #2: The Lady Elgin
Depth to Wreck:
Depth to Bottom: 55 feet

A 252 foot wooden sidewheel steamer that collided with the Augusta during the same storm that saw the St. Mary founder, the Lady Elgin was bound for Chicago with 400 members of the Milwaukee Militia. Nearly 300 of the passengers lost their lives when the ships boilers blew up after the Augusta sliced her engine room open. Discovered just recently, the ship has been the subject of intense litigation between the salvor that discovered her, Harry Zych, and various governmental agencies trying to wrest control of her. Largely smashed by storms, she lies in three distinct fields and there is a lot of pottery and other miscellaneous stuff to be found (and left) on the bottom.

Important stuff:
Reservations for seats will be accepted on a first come, first served basis, with preference given to folks that want to dive both dates. As soon as I have enough bodies to fill the charters I will send the winners a congratulatory email with instructions on where to send your money. Money not received within 10 days will mean that your seat goes to a standby diver. I’m setting this up, but I’m not making any money from it and will ask that you send two checks in payment, one for each of the charter operators. If you have any questions, post them here or PM me and I will get back to you as quickly as possible – but it may take a day. Complete instructions on how to get to the charters and so forth will be sent out to the participants.

General conditions: Lake Michigan below about 50 feet is cold year round, drysuits are a good idea but certainly not required. Bottom temperatures will be in the low to mid-40s for these dives, even though the top water may be getting close to 70 degrees by mid-July. Storms can and do crop up and surface conditions include short-cycle waves that are routinely 2 – 4 feet. Visibility is normally somewhere about 30 feet, occasional good days can see it approach 50 feet, bad days can see it drop to 10 or less. Zebra mussels, a/k/a Nature’s razor blades, infest everything, so heavy gloves and kneepads are in order. On the other hand, you never have to wash the salt-water off your gear.

If you need it, gear is fairly easy to rent, nitrox and argon is readily available and He mixes can be had with some advance notice, although we won’t be going deep enough to really justify it. If you need gear, let me know what and I’ll try to help you make the arrangements.

If you’re coming from out of town (way cool) please remember that Lake Michigan may be smaller than the ocean, but still can kick up pretty good and cancellations are always a possibility. I would really love to have some out-of-towners, but I can’t promise that the weather will smile upon us. If the charters cancel, you will get your charter money back, but I can’t help with your other travel and hotel expenses. PM me and I can help with some suggestions for places to stay, how to rent gear, and whatnot. The meal program will be determined by the participants, but if you come from out of town I will surely see to it that you don’t have to eat alone. If we don’t have any out-of-town participants, I’m still up for at least a Saturday night yeehaw, if anybody cares to join me. Tizi Melloul would be fine, but I don’t really care where.

The charters going to hold these dates for us for about a week before they’re going to want to hear from me, so if you’re interested, act fast! Let's get wet together this summer.

Steven Anderson
Chicago, Illinois

Back
Top Bottom