Chinese diving equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone try one of the Chinese UV lights. I'm heading to Roatan this winter and would love to do a night dive to see fluorescence. Unfortunately a NightSea light is a bit expensive for a dive or two.

Yes. I bought 5, including batteries and chargers. One arrived with a bad battery (send me a replacement set no cost) the rest functioned fine. They have been happy to 300ft and give a couple hours burn time. The lumen output rating of course is bogus but the build quality wasn't bad. Probably only 100 hrs on them so far (drowned my full spectrum converted dslr early last season) but still holding up well.... for the price.

Regards,
Cameron

Chinese diving and diving equipment has been around a long time...

Any one who have been around diving for a while probably recalls "Bunns diving equipment" located in the then British Crown Colony of Hong Kong.(HK) It was established by three pioneer HK diving brothers Bunny,, Billy, and Kitty Liu, all named after individuals in their mothers favorite fairy tale. All are gone now - in the big reef in the sky

They began like all of us in that era so many years ago- spearing fish and collecting marine life but after the introduction of the bubble machine began blowing bubbles. But the British had placed a huge import duty on diving equipment making it very expensive to purchase

The answer was the club concept - In 1957 the divers of HK established the "Sea Dragons dive club." They cobinmde their resources and purchased a number of Mistral double hose single stage regulators- one of the simplest most rugged regulators ever made for members to use.

The Liu brothers disassembled the Mistral and began "revers engineering" the regulator and with in a short time began producing the Bunns Regulator in HK. It had enough changes so as not to violate patents and was a more rugged simpler regulator that could with stand the use and abuse of members of the Sea Dragons members.

Means while in 1963 the US an Italian Gus dela Valle and a Chicagoan Dick Bonin (@Marie13-note) picked up the scraps of Healthways /SCUBA Pro in a bankruptcy sale for $1.00 and due considerations. They owned a company in name only - but had no products to sell.

Dick concentrated on establishing a dealer net work in US while Gus traveled the world looking for products to sell. One product was regulators - the Bunns regulator was a strong contender to be the flag ship double hose regulator for the up start struggling company. However after consolations with the dealers and SoCal diving leaders SCUBA Pro decided to concentrate on rebranding Healthways single hose regulators and concentrating on improving them to the demanding rugged SCUBA Pro standards.
Unfortunately Gus and Dick are in the big reef in the sky-- SCUBA Pro was sold to Johnson Wax and now all their regulators are bright and shinny-

Almost concurrently a company in the UK by the name of "Typhoon Diving Equipment Company" was established and marketed the Bunns double hose regulator. So far as can be determined it did not last too long.

In a visit I 1988 or 2000 to HK (pays to keep a log ) I spent a entire day with Kittie (His spelling) discussing and cussing the current state of diving, At that time the Bunns operation had migrated into wet suits and had established an number of factories in Red China (now just China) to manufacture west suits on mass production scale and named a number of internationally well known companies who were purchasing their products.

All the brothers, Bunny,, Billy, and Kitty Liu are gone now so there is no way to verify - but I strongly suspect that the company they established so many years ago in HK has some thing to do with current Chinese diving products and will have a foot in the door for many years to come.

I suspect once a toe hold is established, dealer net work is in place and some ubiquitous acceptable name is developed Chinese products wilt become a realty in all international diving markets.

Time will tell

Sam Miller, 111

Anyone try one of the Chinese UV lights. I'm heading to Roatan this winter and would love to do a night dive to see fluorescence. Unfortunately a NightSea light is a bit expensive for a dive or two.
I've got two on order. Can't beat the price. Mfr is VERY responsive - has already sent three messages about the coming shipment. We'll see if they remain responsive if one breaks. Also waiting to see light output. I'll post comparative pics. Northernone already told us, though.

Last edited:
Chinese diving and diving equipment has been around a long time... Any one who have been around diving for a while probably recalls "Bunns diving equipment" located in the then British Crown Colony of Hong Kong.(HK) It was established by three pioneer HK diving brothers Bunny,, Billy, and Kitty Liu, all named after individuals in their mothers favorite fairy tale. All are gone now - in the big reef in the sky
Excellent historical insights from Sam. Since he has expanded the discussion to include the former British Crown Colony of Hong Kong, I thought I might report what I learned recently while pursuing some online research of my own about the production of underwater swimming equipment in Hong Kong back in the mid-1950s. Below are a couple of articles from 1955 issues of the Hong Kong Commerce and Industry Department Trade Bulletin:

1. Underwater Swimming Apparatus
See: 香港記憶 | Hong Kong Memory
Sealion_Regulator.jpg

The text accompanying the picture: A brand new Hong Kong product is the underwater swimming equipment carried by the model in the above picture. Marketed under the registered name of “Sealion”, this equipment, designed by a British engineer, functions on the well-proven compressed air system and incorporates several original features (patents applied for) which are said to make breathing easier and mean fewer moving parts. The manufacturers claim that in price, the “Sealion” compares favourably with similar equipment produced elsewhere. This, combined with its improved design, should make it popular with overseas buyers. A model shown at the recent Canadian International Trade Fair attracted considerable attention. There are several variations of the “Sealion” and full details can be obtained from the manufacturers, Submarine Products Limited, 32 Printing House, Duddell Street, Hong Kong.
My commentary: Submarine Products was the name of a British diving equipment company that operated between the early 1960s and the early 1980s out of the town of Hexham, near where I live in the North East of England. One of their in-house regulators was called the "Super Sealion":
Super_Sealion.jpg

Coincidence or the same product? Judge for yourself: I'm no expert in breathing apparatus.

2. More Underwater Swimming Equipment
See: 香港記憶 | Hong Kong Memory
WalterFins.jpg

The text accompanying the picture: Exploring the wonders of marine life has become a favourite recreation and Hong Kong manufacturers, always swift to react to modern trends, are bringing this modern pastime within reach of all by producing the necessary equipment at popular prices. Featured in the July issue of the Trade Bulletin was underwater swimming apparatus, functioning in the compressed air system, designed for those who take the sport seriously and wish to penetrate to great depths. This month, the focus is on a range of underwater swimming appliances likely to appeal to the less-skilled enthusiast — rubber fins, goggles, masks and air tubes. The manufacturers of these goods are the Wah Tai Rubber Company, 287, Castle Peak Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong, a firm already well known for its ‘Key’ brand volleyballs. This new range of goods, which is extremely well made and finished, should achieve considerable success. A great deal of the equipment has been observed on local beaches recently and appears to be giving every satisfaction. The rubber fins are available in various sizes to suit children and adults. The masks and goggles are adjustable, the former being offered with or without the air tube. Exploring the wonders of marine life has become a favourite recreation and Hong Kong manufacturers, always swift to react to modern trends, are bringing this modern pastime within reach of all by producing the necessary equipment at popular prices.
My commentary: Does anybody recognise the "Walter" open-heel fins in the image? Yes, they're almost identical to Healthways "Web Feet" fins:
_ib378kiaIHab1wFsDip-9EURPrfUwiCK4UVHaniRA8VIvKs7pCsh_dDdvdl8h8GuADXQMN7lrFz6LVIy4h=w935-h623-no.jpg

Another coincidence, or did Healthways have their Web Feet made by Wah Tai of Hong Kong? Judge for yourself.

Last edited:
Yes. I bought 5, including batteries and chargers. One arrived with a bad battery (send me a replacement set no cost) the rest functioned fine. They have been happy to 300ft and give a couple hours burn time. The lumen output rating of course is bogus but the build quality wasn't bad. Probably only 100 hrs on them so far (drowned my full spectrum converted dslr early last season) but still holding up well.... for the price.

Regards,
Cameron

Thanks,

Which brand (manufacturer) and model did you buy.

The Chinese manufacturers are now coming direct to the US market.

I would expect that many larger US SCUBA dealers will purchase from them.
Lower prices, higher margins, no "Dealer Agreements".

Almost concurrently a company in the UK by the name of "Typhoon Diving Equipment Company" was established and marketed the Bunns double hose regulator. So far as can be determined it did not last too long. Sam Miller, 111

As a Brit, I just wanted to add a little more detail about the UK Typhoon brand of diving equipment. It is still going strong, as can be seen from its website at Typhoon International - Home. It was founded by Oscar Gugen, the co-founder of the British Sub Aqua Club, in the aftermath of World War II, and the firm was then named E. T. Skinner and Company after Gugen's business partner Eric Skinner. I have the 1956 and 1966 Skinner-Typhoon catalogues. The 1956 one doesn't include any regulators, but the 1966 one features the Healthways Scubair and the Nemrod Deluxe Mark II single-hose regulators (no double-hoses!):
ETSkinner_Typhoon_1966.jpg

As for Bunns, I wonder whether it survives here? On its website, the company traces its development back to "Bunn’s Diving Institute Ltd.", which was founded "in 1958 by the Liu Brothers. In the beginning, it was a tiny workshop producing diving equipment and wetsuits."

Last edited:
Thanks,

Which brand (manufacturer) and model did you buy.
Mine are the cheap ones. Google "3x Cree XPE 365nm-395nm UV Light LED Scuba Torch Waterproof"

Brings up aliexpress in the first search result. Ebay and dhgate also have it. Plus Amazon for a premium price.

Regards,
Cameron

So I ordered a tempered glass scuba mask and received it last week. Quality looked good...so I decided to burn off the silicone with a lighter as I have done many times in the past and it melted the lens...LOL! So, its obvious that it is labeled on the lens tempered, but it actually plastic.

$14.00 down the drain...LOL!

So I ordered a tempered glass scuba mask and received it last week. Quality looked good...so I decided to burn off the silicone with a lighter as I have done many times in the past and it melted the lens...LOL! So, its obvious that it is labeled on the lens tempered, but it actually plastic.

$14.00 down the drain...LOL!

Thanks for the notice flyboy08.

Who was the vendor?

We can a lesson from your experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom