Chinese food: An expose'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:lol: :rofl: you only get one side???

Arnaud:
I'm disappointed to see so many of you guys having fun here.

The implication that Chinese restaurants serve this kind of food is old, tired and borderline xenophobic.

I found the song offensive. What's next? Africans being cannibals?

I agree. I don't understand why that was song was so funny and do not find it particularly clever. But asians are typically easy targets for stereotypes and discrimination (e.g., being bad drivers, owning dry cleaning stores, etc.) because they are not a very vocal group (not in the culture), especially as compared to other minority groups. It's largely a function of the extreme differences in eastern & western culture and the fact asians are not particularly unifed as a group.

ok... well, what's wrong with eating cats?

i'm sure we appear like heathens to Hindus who dont' eat cattle. i'm sure they
make jokes about us.

if i were part of a culture that ate cats, i wouldn't be offended by being called
a cat eater.

would you be offended by being called a cow eater? a pork eater? an oyster eater?
because there are culturers that are grossed out by each one of those dishes, you know.

if the point is that the Chinese DO NOT eat cats, then that's a different matter. i wouldn't want to be accused of eating something i didn't (like rotten fish stew).

H2Andy:
ok... well, what's wrong with eating cats?

i'm sure we appear like heathens to Hindus who dont' eat cattle. i'm sure they
make jokes about us.

if i were part of a culture that ate cats, i wouldn't be offended by being called
a cat eater.

would you be offended by being called a cow eater? a pork eater? an oyster eater?
because there are culturers that are grossed out by each one of those dishes, you know.

if the point is that the Chinese DO NOT eat cats, then that's a different matter. i wouldn't want to be accused of eating something i didn't (like rotten fish stew).

You are kidding, right? The song is based on the old urban legend that Chinese restaurants do not serve quite what's printing on their menu and deceive their clients. That's what's offensive about it. This has nothing to do with cultural differences.

Arnaud:
You are kidding, right? The song is based on the old urban legend that Chinese restaurants do not serve quite what's printing on their menu and deceive their clients. That's what's offensive about it. This has nothing to do with cultural differences.

obviously, if chinese restaurants served cat instead of chicken, quite a few of them would have been busted by now (you need a LOT of cats to keep a restaurant in business; you can't hide that sort of thing for long).

i don't know of a single chinese restaurant ever busted for this. clearly, it's a joke.

the only thing i would find offensive about the joke is
putting down a culture for eating what they think is ok
to eat, hence my post.

and cats are eaten in China, particularly in Canton:

http://www.worldmag.com/world/issue/09-06-03/international_5.asp

why does PETA raise a stink when a cat is injured but doesn't bat an eyelash (sort of speak) at the zillions of chickens and cows and pigs that are killed each year?
H2Andy, I do believe you'd better do some more homework. This assertion could not possibly be less true.

ya we covered that earlier

:wink:

As long as you don't call me an odor eater! That would really stink!!! Its a smell thing I am asking of you. Next thing you nose, I will be accused of being a deviated septum. I am a narie do well... but I have learned to pick my fights well. Well I am tired now, think I will go take a shnauaz.

Folks, parody & lampooning are common comedic vehicles that are clearly in use here.

If you don't appreciate this type or style of humor, that's fine. But you should (a) recognize that it does exist, and (b) respect those that find it funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom