Chloroquine /other vaccines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traciedee

Contributor
Reaction score
We are planning on staying in Roatan/ West Bay and doing some diving. No jungle trips or jaunts to the mainland. Just curious if those of you who have been to Roatan did the chloroquine or other vaccines before your trip. I've never thought about it before, but I noticed the CDC listed Roatan as a possible for Malaria.

I will talk to a doctor before I go and get their advice. But was I just wondering about those of you who have made several trips and whether you took the precautions. I have heard the chloroquine is pretty nasty stuff and don't think I've ever had a hep shot.

We went to AKR on Roatan a few years back, and just before we went, we heard that one of their DMs had gotten malaria. At the same time, cocoview was having bad problems with people getting very ill at their resort (which is no longer a problem if I recall correctly). So we did both the Hep A vaccine and took the malaria prophylaxis. Neither of us had any problem with the shot. My wife's stomach didn't like the chloroq much, but it was pretty much a one day thing, and I had no problem with mine.

We will be going back to Roatan this June for our third time. And we will once again take our chloroquine meds before leaving. As a precaution, we also have our tetanus, Hep A&B and typhoid shots up-to date anytime we go on vacation.

Better safe than sorry.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Take the meds. They have unpleasant side effects on very few people. If you are coming down on a saturday flight take it the Friday 8 days before you leave the Friday befire you fly and the friday just before you leave, That way any unpleasant stomach problems on the day or day after you take the pills are unlikely to effect diving, as you won't be diving these days anyway!

Will

Thanks, I'm thinking better safe than sorry. Ok here's a stupid question, but do you have to go to a travel or international medicine doctor to get this stuff? I just can't see a GP being very knowledgable and I would really like to go to someone who knows about travel meds. Seems like I've read they give you different malaria medications for what's most effective for the area you are going to.

We're going to Roatan in August and have been meaning to get our shots. I already asked my physician and they referred me to a travel clinic where I was informed the shots can cost up to $400 per person. I'm going to check with my insurance to see if they will cover any of it but I think we'll probably have to go to the travel clinic. My guess is that most Dr's don't carry those vaccines.

We just go to our family doctor, no need for someone special. A lot of people travel, they are usually used to these kinds of requests.

UnderwaterBumbleBee:
I was informed the shots can cost up to $400 per person

We were in AKR for the kids' Spring Break - they got their shot/meds in Boulder (Go Buffs!) for about $100 all in, my wife and I got them in Toronto for about double that. Insurance covered in both cases.

Just finished the chloroquine this morning, as a matter of fact. For those thinking they can get by without it, we ended up playing connect-the-dots on my wife with all the bites she had. She tried everything that week - Off, Cactus Juice, Avon Skin so Soft, and someone even had 99% DEET - nothing worked for her. As for the rest of us, we liked having her around because she seemed to be the mosquito magnet, letting the rest of us enjoy the week!

Your local health department (infectius disease) section can take care of you and provide prescriptions.

Here in Raleigh NC the malaria meds - $37.50
Hep A two shots $160 total

I don't remember what typhoid was

A lot of insurance companies cover the shots. Definitely get hepA and tetanus (which you ought to have anyway if you are doing anything active where you migh tget cut). My husband came down with HepA in Belize and we were eating the same foods/drinks--I had been vaccinated and he opted to not get the shots. The next time we went to central america, he got the hepA shots! He was pretty sick and it did put a damper on the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom