Chloroquine /other vaccines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

took my first anti maleria med last night at dinner. Did not feel anything strange at all. Slept fine. But that maybe cause a Ambeian zonks me out!!. CCV here we come in 7 days!!

UnderwaterBumbleBee:
We're going to Roatan in August and have been meaning to get our shots. I already asked my physician and they referred me to a travel clinic where I was informed the shots can cost up to $400 per person. I'm going to check with my insurance to see if they will cover any of it but I think we'll probably have to go to the travel clinic. My guess is that most Dr's don't carry those vaccines.

Call your local public health service and ask about immunization clinics. They generally have a separate clinic person or time for travel shots, and the cost will be nothing like you pay through your friendly local doctor's office.

Went to Roatan this April, took Chloroquinine with no side effects whatsoever. I visited the Mass General Travel Clinic in Boston, my insurance paid for everything but the co-pay.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I just called my family doctor and told him what I wanted. He called the scrip into Walgreens and I only had to pay my copay of 20 bucks. HA!!

Take the anti malarial- can't promise you you won't have any side effects but I can tell you my whole family takes it, kids and all, and we never even noticed. Trust me, you will notice if you get Malaria, and those side effects I'm sure are worse.
As for the hep A- coin toss. Hep A won't kill you and according to my doctor, you might have had it, passsed it off as an intestinal bug and in that case you're immune. In any case, take the anti malarial........................

Praxus:
Malarone also works in Roatan. Its more expensive; but with less side effects and you only take it for a week afterwards.

I took Malarone for my trip last year. I didn't have any side effects that I noticed. And I didn't get malaria either! :D

Hello,

Just got back from Utila on Monday.

My wife and I have taken 3 doses of the chloroquine so far and have had no side effects at all.

We have 3 or 4 more doses to take to finish our preventative treatment.

I have heard that the majority of people don't have side effects bad enough to warrant not taking the precaution against malaria.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom