Choosing a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I transitioned from a Zeagle BC to a DSS backplate rig.

I did try out the "saddle strap" from Zeagle. It helped, still didn't fully stabilize a big steel tank. Plus, the buckles on front easily became jammed with sand and impossible to open after being rolled by surf. Not a good thing to be on your knees in surf and not be able to doff your rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for DSS. Tobin is regularly here on the forum...and always appears to be extremely pro-active and motivated to directly help and advise his customers.

Thanks guys! I have considered the saddle strap for my bc, but it is also too long in the shoulders and in a few places the wear is pretty bad, so it is a decent time to look at a transition. I really like the idea of a shorter plate-one of our local shops (not mine) rents halcyon set ups so a friend and I are giving them a shot this weekend. They even have the shorter plate available which is awesome! My shop sells dive rite and hollis...would it be possible to use a hollis harness with a dss or halcyon plate? I am not quite sure how the mixing and matching works. I do like what halcyon has, but the big H's make it much less subtle for classes. Although I may just stick with my ranger for class work...
So how does the mix/match work?

You can route the webbing so that the H's are turned inwards on the shoulder straps -- then all that shows is the H's on the waist strap, which, if you are horizontal, is pretty hard to see . . .

I would certainly not pony up any money for a fancy harness until you have tried the simple one. Everyone I know who started with the "comfort" kind of harness, switched in fairly short order.

Thanks guys! I have considered the saddle strap for my bc, but it is also too long in the shoulders and in a few places the wear is pretty bad, so it is a decent time to look at a transition. I really like the idea of a shorter plate-one of our local shops (not mine) rents halcyon set ups so a friend and I are giving them a shot this weekend. They even have the shorter plate available which is awesome! My shop sells dive rite and hollis...would it be possible to use a hollis harness with a dss or halcyon plate? I am not quite sure how the mixing and matching works. I do like what halcyon has, but the big H's make it much less subtle for classes. Although I may just stick with my ranger for class work...
So how does the mix/match work?

I'm actually a Dealer for all of these Manuf. and of them we tend to do the most with the Halcyon Eclipse System (w/6lbs weight for people that need it) which is offered with the Small BP. Unfortunately Hollis (similar wing as Halcyon) doesn't make a shorter BP and they also have thicker D-Rings which make clipping a little harder. DiveRite does offer a smaller plate, but you will find that the Halcyon BP&W will keep you are more balanced and will give you more control. DS&S is also an excellent product which also offers different weighting distribution as well.

My vote: 30lbs Eclipse System (turn webbing in, cut of Logo's, if you don't want them) w/6lbs STA & Trim weight pockets (lots' of weighting options). If you are concerned about floating gear while out of it (because of how much weight you are wearing) then get the 40lbs one.

Halcyon Eclipse System

Enjoy you new BP/W ;-).

Halcyon also offers a small backplate. A 30lb wing is a good choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom