Christi with Blue XTSEA Takes a TypeII DCS Hit (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i am not a big fan of gatoraid but i do have it every morning before diving on coz.

Why?

Back when I was coaching, I took a graduate school course in nutrition for athletes, and the topic of Gatorade (and other such drinks) was a big part of our talk on hydration and electrolyte replacement. The theory behind the creation of Gatorade was that the body lost electrolytes during performance, and rehydrating with a drink that contained electrolytes would help the body restore the critical electrolyte balance more quickly.

Notice the key words "rehydrate" and "restore." The idea was not to consume it before competition but rather during and after competition.

But that was just the theory. Not long after its creation, Gatorade sponsored a study to determine the ideal way to rehydrate during and after athletic performance. It was obviously confident that it would be pronounced the winner, but that was not what happened. The study indicated that although the body did indeed lose electrolytes during athletic performance, it actually lost proportionately more water than electrolytes. Thus the body's loss of electrolytes during performance had the opposite effect of what was expected--there were proportionately too may electrolytes in the body during and after performance! The study concluded that the athlete should rehydrate with plain old water to restore the balance, leaving the electrolytes to be replenished later, usually through a normal diet.

Taking additional electrolytes before an athletic performance would make the problem even worse.

The goal of hydration and rehydration should be the primary concern, and the original purpose of Gatorade was electrolyte replacement. I say the original purpose because I am not sure it even attempts to do that now. I think that if you look at the ingredients now, you will see that Gatorade is essentially sugar water--or maybe high fructose corn syrup water. (I don't have a bottle in front of me--just going from the memory of the last time I looked.)

Last edited:
Most people don't need gatorade or any of the other sports drinks. Even the toughest workout you could do (if you aren't an elite athlete or in serious ironman training, etc.) your body will rehydrate just fine with plain water. The average American today already is taking in way too much sodium. Take a look at the labels of sports drinks, in addition to the high sodium, there's other stuff the average person doesn't need any extra of.

Stick to water, you'll be much better off. If you don't like plain water, try putting some citrus in it, or cucumber and mint, or citrus and ginger. It's really nice and refreshing that way.

I drink a lot of water on a daily basis no matter what I'm doing. When I go on dive trips I usually up my water a few days before I leave. Over the course of my trips I drink more water than coffee or alcoholic bevvies. I'm there to dive and I can save the drinking and feeling crappy in the morning for another time when I'm not diving.

Just to toss in my $.02, one of the 1st things we do when we arrive, regardless of where we stay, is to make a quick Chedrui trip and pick up several gallons of bottled watter (the big ones) to keep in our room. This way I have no excuse for not being hydrated.

This is incredibly off-topic for Christi's DCS hit, but...

Pedialyte is just a massively overpriced version of the original WHO oral rehydration solution. This is intended to replace fluid and electrolyte loss from gastrointestinal sources (vomiting and diarrhea) and is considerably more effective at this than sports drinks. It's possible that Gatorade does better at replacing electrolytes lost through heavy sweating.

Neither of these (barfing/the trots or heavy sweating) has much to do with diver hydration, for which water works just fine and is preferable.

This is good stuff! I've always wondered why I constantly need to go when I'm diving, even when I don't believe I've over hydrated myself.

I always thought it was like the trick of soaking someone's hand in warm water, except you soak all of you.....

I don't think Christi would/will mind as this thread has a lot of excellent information in it regarding DCS and hydration etc. I know I have learned a LOT from this discussion even though it has gone OT a little.

'

I read they say that nitrogen loading will promote a divers bladder to pee. Maybe it's only me. I'm wondering then why can't I hold my urine for more than a half hour or so underwater.
First2005, remind me not to be behind or under you around the 25 minute mark :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

The thread has gone a bit off topic but now it looks like it is precariously close to someone mentioning the warhammer.

Oops.

At least I didn't post the pic.

The thread has gone a bit off topic but now it looks like it is precariously close to someone mentioning the warhammer.

Oops.

At least I didn't post the pic.
Just ask Christi, the week before I left I had to go in the hospital, I almost pulled the maneuver. I was in the hospital 2days, one night. Now let me tell ya about dehydration.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom