Christi with Blue XTSEA Takes a TypeII DCS Hit (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I've been off all day. I see we're not talking about this incident but still off on hydration...

One point I got confused: Coffee is not a diuretic, regardless of how often we hear that on SB; it's just not as hydrating as water alone.

I salt my food heavier when on certain outings, like this week at high altitudes, hiking, etc. to replace salt lost. I wonder if a little extra salt on dive trips to increase total fluid retention a little is a good idea?

...I wonder if a little extra salt on dive trips to increase total fluid retention a little is a good idea?
Hey, man, this is Cozumel... can you spell M.a.r.g.a.r.i.t.a????
:)
Rick

Stumbled on this discussion tonite, just want to wish Christi well and hope she suffers no lingering ill effects from this hit.

Most people don't need gatorade or any of the other sports drinks. Even the toughest workout you could do (if you aren't an elite athlete or in serious ironman training, etc.) your body will rehydrate just fine with plain water. The average American today already is taking in way too much sodium. Take a look at the labels of sports drinks, in addition to the high sodium, there's other stuff the average person doesn't need any extra of.

Excellent point.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Most people don't need gatorade or any of the other sports drinks...
That's true... but I *like* a cold gatorade from time to time. My recommendation is that if you like gatorade like I do, alternate with equal parts water.
--
Back to the salt thingie, when I was heavy into jr. hi and high school sports, (in Alabama in the summer, that translates to MAX SWEAT) every locker room had a salt pill dispenser, and we ate the things like candy "to prevent cramps." Reading today's assessment of the practice I reckon we're lucky nobody died!
Rick

I use to have a good supply of Propel vitamin water around at all times. I haven't bought any in a while though. It's a great thirst quencher if you don't like the odd taste of gatorade and water is too plain.

Any endurance workout over 2 hours and I need Gatorade/equivalent or I bonk. On the roadbike, if it's going to be beyond two hours I typically have a bottle filled with gatorade and one filled with water. Beyond 3 hours it's two gatorades which I refill somewhere along the way with water. 4+ and it's two gatorades as well as gels, bananas or a sandwich in my jersey pocket....anything to get some calories. Such drinks have their place, but if my heartrate isn't above 160 for a couple hours at a time...water works better for me and doesn't leave that sugary hack in the back of my throat from breathing hard through gulps of sugar. I don't know a thing about electrolytes etc....but I do know, from many attempts that if I go out feeling great with every intention of going long distance...and my bottles have nothing but water in them, I will hit a wall long before I do if I'm taking in some calories along the way. Gatorade is just a simple way of getting those calories. Its much easier to swallow liquid while your lungs are burning than it is to chew a banana and the extra time on the bike burns far more than what I take in.

Back on topic, sorry to hear about Christy's DCS hit. Get well soon.

Thanks to ALL of you for the well wishes!

Have been offline and resting, AND making a significant recovery in the past week - it's been night and day from 2 weeks ago until now! I will never be able to give enough accolades to Dr. Piccolo and his team!!

As promised, I will e posting a more detailed account as I recover!

Your thoughts, prayers, and sentiments are more appreciated than you know!

Thanks to ALL of you for the well wishes!

Have been offline and resting, AND making a significant recovery in the past week - it's been night and day from 2 weeks ago until now! I will never be able to give enough accolades to Dr. Piccolo and his team!!

As promised, I will e posting a more detailed account as I recover!

Your thoughts, prayers, and sentiments are more appreciated than you know!
Very cool! I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better.

I'll be on Cozumel May 6-16; I'll see you then.

Is it May yet? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom