cleaning unknown materials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HondaMan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone. I found a treasure while diving on the weekend and want to clean it up. It has definitely been underwater for quite some time, and is covered in lots of growth and rocks and such. I'm fairly sure that it is a dagger and sheath, judging by the size and shape. How can I get it cleaned up good, without knowing exactly which materials it is made from, or if it is made from multiple materials? I have it soaking in fresh water in a large aquarium right now.
All advice greatly appreciated.

It's a very nice find. I would suggest that if it could be very old and valuable, you might want to contact some experts in restoring such objects.... as if it is not done correctly, you will damage it. Perhaps the Mel Fisher museum in Florida or something....

To start with, keep it wet. Put it into a tray or pot so that it is completly submerged. Change the water every few days.

If it is small enought, put it into the toliet tank (not the bowl) so that it will not block the opperation of the valve and float. The water in the tank gets changed at least 4 to 8+ times a day with each flush.

If it is a dagger, you will be working a steel which is one of the hardest metals to conserve. Once you know what you have, we can then guide you on how to proceed.

thanks guys/gals. I will try to post pictures as soon as I can. I have had it soaking in a large aquarium since I got home from my dive on Sunday. the object is about 20" in length, and it broke in one section of what I believe is the sheath of the dagger; where it broke, the end slides off what appears to be the remains of a blade. However, there is a very large rock (comparatively) attached to it, How should I remove this rock without damaging it further? I will go take pictures right now and try posting them if I can figure it out.

treasure - MyPicx.com

Here are some poor shots of what I found. I'm not a very good photographer, but it's better than a description... What do you all think?

ps- in the second picture; what I think is a sheath broke when I was digging it out of the ground, and slides off to reveal the remains of a blade IMO

I hate to be negative, but as I was saying you need an expert with the proper equipment, if you hope to salvage and preserve this piece, especially after looking at the pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom