Close call for a Maine Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw the Old Sow on NATGEO's 7 deadly seas. Lucky guy!

I'd love to hear more about the experience, how deep, forces in play etc. Must have been a nightmare-

As a diver, how does one get out of a whirlpool, descend and exit at the bottom of it?

Not to belittle what happened to this diver or any posts about the risks of the Old Sow itself, but I just wanted to mention that any diving in the whole region probably needs a suitable amount of care, since the daily tides are 20-30'. Yes, that's 1 atm, so the tidal currents are more than a little significant. How else would you get a 200' whirlpool? :D

However, the appeal of diving there comes from the large amount of nutrients being brought up from the deeps by this massive water exchange making for some rather spectacular concentrations of sea life. (I really want to get out there some day.)

The diver posted on a Yahoo group I belong to, and stated they were not sucked into the whirlpool but drifted near that area.

The diving around Deer Island is outstanding, but is considered advanced due to the conditions, and obtaining local advice/guides is essential to dive safely with the tides.

As a diver, how does one get out of a whirlpool, descend and exit at the bottom of it?

This is a good question. If you are on the fringe, you have to swim against it. Once you get to the middle, there is a 12-20' drop down into the hole as reported by boaters. The presence of your body might be enough to disrupt the whirling action but don't count on it since boats have been sucked under.

The nearest bottom is approximately 120' under the surface where an undersea mount rises 200+ feet off the floor (but it's width is not known), separating two trenches, 350 and 400+ feet in depth.

Here's the main problem as I see it. Equalizing on the way down, should you be sucked in. Is there less pressure in the cone than the surrounding water due to the inertia of the water spinning and being kept separated? If so, what is the sudden pressure like once you get spit out on the bottom? COULD you equalize? Or would it be like getting hit with two cupped hands over your ears by Bobo the gorilla? Plus disorientation from the spinning ride down

After you get to the bottom, say 120', you have to swim past the overhead whirlpool to surface past the suction, in what I imagine would be a difficult circular current.

So to answer your question : I have no idea.

This would be an interesting question for some Dive Physiologists in the Diving Medical Forum.

Cheers-

Cool! I never heard of these. I would definately puke on way down from spinning.

Puke?!? I'd s**t my dry suit!:shocked:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom