Close Call in Bali - know your DM and Dive Operator very well

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi LeeAnne, I was just making a general observation...I'm not familiar with the dive site mentioned or the particulars of this accident. But you make a good point.....some sites/conditions are much less "forgiving" and the skill level of the individual diver would need to be higher, reducing the need for a DM to "protect the diver from him/herself." I had a group of 6 just a week or so back, and even though the dive site was not difficult (bottom at about 50', little or no current) from the demeanor of one of the divers on the boat & in making her entry, I strongly suggested that she use the descent line on this first dive. She didn't, sank out of control, unable to equalize, and was panicking/hyperventilating within a few seconds. I got her back on the line, took her to the surface, and after she calmed down a bit, convinced her to actually USE the line this time.

I agree....but the truth is, for many divers a guide/DM is essential to their safety.

It is the case but shouldn't be. Some of the blame lies with the idiot that trained these people, some with the divers themselves.
If you admit you are incapable of conducting a dive with another qualified diver then in my view you are no longer a qualified diver and should have to pay extra for private guiding.

Ultimately, diving at this level is not difficult and there is far far too much nannying going on pandering to people that probably shouldn't be in the water at all.

Crystal Bay is a difficult case. We're a dive centre based in Bali and, during Mola Mola season I get hundreds of enquiries for diving to see the sunfish. We try to be selective, suggesting that suitable divers should have a minimum of:

50 logged dives
experience in deep and drift diving
have dived within the last 6 months

but we know that if we don't agree to take a less experience divers to Crystal Bay, then the next dive operator will only take them instead! We pride ourselves on diver safety, but to put such strict requirements on this dive site will only lose us customers who don't actually care about a dive centre's safety record but are just desperate to see the bloody Mola Mola.

We know for certain that not many of the guests will think about carrying a DSMB or signalling device, and that a lot of guests don't even know how to kick, let alone know what to do if a strong current hits.

There are accidents at Crystal Bay every year, and I'm always glad once we get back on the boat with a full quota of guests :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom