Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GREAT! I got a hooded vest for my birthday. The day it arrived, it was only my daughter (10) and I there. Yep, got it on fine, but as I found out, dry neoprene hates me. I tried what I call the "Lucille Ball" method of removal (grab bottom and "try" to pull over head) I think I dislocated my spleen on that try. Then I said to myself, "Self, get the kid to help." I said "OK". So she's pulling for all she's worth and when it came off, she went, luckily, over the back of the couch, full back flip/roll kind of thing on to the floor. She's fine, I'm fine. She is not wetsuit certified but got her signed up for the next class at our LDS. We never mentioned it to anyone else until now.

:eyebrow:
almitywife:
just remember.... if sprained muscles occur whilst reading online at work then its a workplace injury and therefore you are covered by insurance :D

and you guys have summer coming up... lots more stories of new gear coming up!

great point about workplace insurance...unfortunately i'm my own boss :huh:

i think our winter stories (in fla) are much better as much more warmth/neoprene than we like and are used to is required for us(natives and locals) here...

i never knew i was so conflicted with myself until i put on my first wetsuit.... just how many times can you punch yourself in the face before you're committed?? and once you are committed, is there an 'insane' divers club? and where exactly do i sign up....:D

have any of you pulled so hard on your wetsuit that your fingers cramped up and gotten stuck in that position???
not that i know anything about that....just...saw it... on a dive boat...once...or twice...maybe....
it was a 'friend' of mine, yeah...

So I went into the dressing room to try on a new hooded vest. It had some kind of a slick inner lining that is supposed to cling to your skin. It certainly did. It was a tad tight, and I had a difficult time getting it on.

Getting it off was even harder, I pulled on it with everything I had, and my now heavily perspired skin seemed to make moving it impossible. I managed to get it halfway off, and then I realized two things:
  1. It really wasn't going anywhere.
  2. I couldn't breathe.
The mouth and nose area were surrounded by wet suit. As the hypercapnia breathing reflex swept over me, I managed to pull the hood down and breathe. Once my breathing returned to normal, I gave it another shot. Same result. I thought I was having a near death experience, but the light at the end of the tunnel turned out to be coming through the face hole in the hood.

I managed to pull it back on fully and went out to the floor, where I got help to peel it off.

Questions:

If I had died, would this have been considered a scuba accident?

Should I notify DAN?

:dork2:

The ones with zippers work better.

[Boulderjohn is still with us, btw. He is currently pondering when to begin rescue breaths, however.]

I read this whole thread while lying in bed, laughing/crying hysterically. My cat, who was sleeping next to me, got up and left in disgust.

You know, I still have that hooded vest, ScubaPro, size large. Never had the courage to try it on again, so it is in pristine condition.

Anyone interested in purchasing a real killer hood?

and on a serious note, I never ever attempt to take off my hooded vest by myself. Just too dangerous. It can be done in an emergency and there are a few tricks. You insert your hand through the arm hole, (this will eventually stretch it out ) but too many people have either torn a shoulder muscle or come close to a rotator tear by trying it them self. Use your buddy to pull it over your head. That's what a buddy id for!

Yet another reason why it's always important to have a knife. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom