Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It makes me wonder how many calls the local paramedics field each year having to do with wetsuit mishaps, entrapments, etc.

The first time I tried out my back zip drysuit was in my cousin's pool in February in the vicinity of Thousand Oaks. He wanted us to check out something on the bottom. Getting the suit on was one thing, but getting the neck seal off was another. His poor wife kept asking, "Is there anything we can do?" I was afraid I'd end up removing my nose.

I tried on a semi-dry by myself. Thought I'd never get it off. Thing is, there was no one to call for help, all the neighbors were at work.

Heheheheheheh,what a dumb ***- me I mean. I did the same with the suite going on backwards & a size too small.(No hood) Couldnt get the swine off. Had to phone a friend.

Getting it off was even harder, I pulled on it with everything I had, and my now heavily perspired skin seemed to make moving it impossible. I managed to get it halfway off, and then I realized two things:
  1. It really wasn't going anywhere.
  2. I couldn't breathe.
I thought I was having a near death experience
Me too except without the additional task load of a hood. Couldn’t decide if a curtain vs a latching door was not a safety feature. Although, abandoned by my instabuddy and trying to deal with it on my own totally crapped out my trim, doubt I could have managed my descent properly to have fallen thru it. And would have to land with a pretty good whump for someone hopefully with rescue dresser training to notice I was verging on panic. I wish I’d seen this thread before I attempted something I saw everyone doing. I feel lucky to have survived.

My question is why this likely distress situation was not covered in BOW or the briefing. I had no idea I should have checked for an emergency signaling device onsite.

I thought I was the only one. Sent this e-mail to a friend last week.

They are very fond of me at the dive shop, apparently I am good for comic relief. They especially enjoyed selling me a 7mil wet suit. Several customers stayed for the show too.

It is black and 7mil is very thick and "toasty warm". It is 2 pieces, a pair of overalls and then a bermuda short length onesie with long sleeves. They sent me into the bathroom to put it on cause they said I would want to sit down after a while. After a while? They also only gave me the overall part cause they said I would want help with the rest. Two pieces, a jumper and a zip up the front one piece, clothes not brain surgery.

I got one leg in and a foot and had to sit down. Then I got it up over my shoulders with one knee pad on my knee and the other one below it and the Velcro of the shoulder strap stuck to my head. I was done, it was about 192 degrees in the thing and I walked with a limp. So I ventured out for help.

They said I was really quick, they didn't expect me so soon. And I had more on than they thought I would. Two customers came in, took one look at me and sat down to watch. Get a life huh and open the dammed door, its hot in here.

Now the onesie. There is a trick to them. I don't know it. I can tell you DONT MAKE A FIST WHEN YOU PUT YOUR ARM IN! they told me your dive buddy always helps you put your suit on and you always help them. I need 3 days notice, 2 dive buddies and the jaws of life.

After I got both pieces on I flapped my arms to make all the air in the suit come out the neck so they could see if it fit or if I needed a smaller size. ******** comedians these guys. They were thinking there was too big an airpocket in the back. The fact that my left boob was squished under my chin and my right boob was squished under my left armpit was OK but not too much airspace in the back or I would get cold. It was 248 degrees in this thing and I was starting to see pretty colors. I told them not to worry, it fit just fine. I was going to take it off.

I waddled over to the bathroom, my knees didn't bend and my legs did not come to within a foot and a half of each other. There was a step up to the bathroom. One snicker from the peanut gallery and I was going to knock them unconscious with my BC.

Once in the bathroom I got one arm out and figured I was going to have to buy the stupid thing just because I couldn't get it off. It is black and it is mine.

After I wear the suit 10 times they are going to put a certificate of achievement on the wall.

I got this off finally and it is now for sale.....

holy crap! this is some seriously funny stuff... i haven't literally laughed out loud (not talking LOL) but really freakin' chokin for a long time. I've been trying to explain this thread to a bunch of people... they don't get it. There are people choking, punching themselves, contemplating cutting themselves (or their suits) up! How can that not be funny? I am seriously going to take a video camera and go to all my LDS and try and catch some action... Does that seem pervy? I'd win funniest home videos in a second (is that still on?) Cheers people... congrats on giving me someone to laugh at that isn't me...

some of my fav youtube moments

love the chick at the back in this one trying to get her head out - dont get lean down into the fetal position though :D

or this one with her trying to get her arm out - keep thinking she gonna smack someone with her attempt to get out

:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom