Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well i think FairyBasslet needs to add to this thread.... was it wrong of me to put my foot on her head for leverage while trying to pull off the vest with hood yesterday??? :D

More than one way to skin a cat - or an old goat for that matter1

witha little help from my dive buddy

Attachments

• P3100046.JPG
    P3100046.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 492
I, too, have had the way too tight hooded vest newbie experience. The girl at the dive shop said it needed to be tight and I just squeezed into it. She said it was a perfect fit and would be fine after it got wet. This was going to be for my ow certification a few years back and I wanted keep from getting too cold in Feb. I wiggled into it for my cert. dives and after the third dive I was certified and exhausted after having to crawl out of the water due to the tide receding and the stairs were barely reachable. I walked to the small bathroom stall to change into warm comfortable clothes. Yes, I was tired and alone in the stall; I twisted and wiggled the vest up and had it just over my head when I realized I was stuck and couldn't breath. Death by neoprene was a strong possibility at that time. I tried not to panic and if I could get out a yell for help who could hear it I was alone. I managed to work an arm under the vest and create an air pocket. I stood there gasping for air and resting after the near death experience. I wondered, "Do I try to walk out of the bathroom and find someone to assist me or do I just try one more time?" I did try again and after 5 minutes I was rewarded with neoprene freedom. Exhausted and still recovering from the close call...I heard the sales girl's comment in my head, "Remember if you go into the ocean with the vest you cant return it." So I left it for someone else to find and hopefully have an experience much better than mine. I refused to load that death trap vest back into my bag to take back home. I still have not used a vest since that time. I would rather get cold for a short time than to have my family notified by the Coast Guard of my demise by hooded vest.

boulderjohn,

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I have been laughing soooo much. I just found it a few days ago and went back and read the whole thread. You should have included a warning - Do NOT drink while reading posts. I've had to clean my keyboard because I was drinking water and then started bursting out laughing at the same time.

Great story Diver Bizz. Reminds me of a time at Weeki Watchi... "would this ederly lady think me nuts for asking her to help me undress". :confused:

This was part of the guff on the tag attached to my new full length wetsuit that my kids gave me for Xmas. I have just managed to get out of it at home (I tried it on whilst I was home alone) where the temperature today was 35C:

"Your Wetsuit will have a zip to make it possible to get in and out of the Wetsuit. With a particularly tight suit this can be the most exhausting part of your day! The zips are situated in different places on the suit, traditionally down the back of the Wetsuit, but can be found across the shoulders or high up on the chest. The latest Wetsuits are made out of neoprene so stretchy that you can get in through the neck. Pretty cool stuff."

I have sent a link from this thread to the manufacturer.....suggesting the "pretty cool stuff" may require a rethink and I intend dropping in and testing out their "so stretchy" claim.:crafty:

Thanks everyone

well i think FairyBasslet needs to add to this thread.... was it wrong of me to put my foot on her head for leverage while trying to pull off the vest with hood yesterday??? :D

You know Mrs., I still have a dent in my head from your foot.:rofl3: At least the vest kept me somewhat warm. I think I need to dry suit to dive Sydney even in the summer.

So about this hooded vest of mine. When I tried it on at home, it was fine going on. Then I realized that I couldn't get it off by myself. TG I remembered this thread and didn't try it on until my son was home. He was hysterical laughing at me helping me to get it off. I warned the Mrs. that she would have to help me off with my hood. It's funny because Almity1 says to me "Just slip your arm out first" after the hood part got totally stuck on my head. :rofl3: So why are these things easier to get into than out of?

So how as Vanuatu? Wonderful I hope. Did you get my PM? I missed you! Say hi to Theo.

OK , here goes ....
I tried on the drysuit that I just got off ebay , yep, alone in the house :popcorn:
... Rats, trapped! .. was quite comical actually ... I kept thinking of this thread as I squirmed and flailed around trying to get my arms started out of the suit :dork2: and it's a front zip suit no less :11:
... luckily, I remembered my training * stop-breathe-think * and performed a "self rescue" by backing up to a counter and using it to force my arm around in an unatural position to where I could reach it with my other hand :laughing: ... besides, you think I'm going to go outside in this thing and ask for help? :rofl3:

Surelyshirly ... LOL :crafty:

Surelyshirley gets much :clapping: for the funniest post EVER.
My son came over to read over my shoulder since I was :rofl3: and could not speak.
Tears running down my face reading her post.

And then I was thinking :useless: and there were VIDEOS!! :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom