Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yet another reason why it's always important to have a knife. :)

oh right.... :laughing:

tearing it apart even before you paid for it.... good shopping practice. :rofl3:

i wonder if you can sue the store for a near-death experience?

... who has suffered a neoprene related injury.

It was my fourth OW cert dive. Apparently I was doing ok because the DM and I were just "strolling" along the western bank of the quarry, relaxed, headed south back to the dock, when I paused to look at something on the bottom. He evidently didn't realize right away that I had stopped or didn't think much of it and swam on a few kicks. I was having a great time, just infatuated with the concept of 3D movement (the best part of diving I think), and decided to roll over on to my back to watch the bubbles go up to the surface. Turns out I was perhaps a little too relaxed, let my left arm kind of "flop, and dislocated my shoulder. That shoulder has given me problems a few times since a bicycle accident caused it to meet the pavement several years ago. Usually I just maneuver it back into place myself and go on with my business, but "usually" doesn't inclulde being wrapped in a 7mm two-piece neoprene sausage casing in 20 ft of water (or at least then it didn't). I crashed into the bottom of course, so there I am, trying to wrench my shoulder back into place and unable to see anything. I gave up trying after a short time and just sort of held arm in place and got out of the silt cloud. Spent a few seconds looking for my buddy then surfaced (actually did a controlled ascent, no panic, yay me). He came up at about the same time a short distance away and started to say something, until he saw my face. I swam to the dock under my own power although he kept asking if I wanted a tow. He and the instructor got my bcd off and everything and helped me out of the water. Of course, now everyone around has realized that something's up and is starting to flock around. They managed to peel the jacket off and you could see the deformity. I started walking up the hill to the building when the shoulder popped back in suddenly. People at the top of the hill even saw it. So the staff got me some ice and such and helped me pack everything up. Then I got to drive home with a manual transmission. Nobody can understand how you dislocate a shoulder scuba diving. Now I am among peers...

Yes, I'm actually qualified to teach that one. It isn't easy. But it is silly.

Yes, I'm actually qualified to teach that one. It isn't easy. But it is silly.

...and does it cost a lot?

Just read this tread. Laughed so hard it really cheered me up. Makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one who has been stuck in my equipment. Still waiting for the day I wear my hood home so I can cut it off.

I LOVE this thread!!!

reminds me to get pics from the weekend where i looked like a TOTAL conehead - first time i ever wore a hood

i was just saying to another SB'er that i was worried about the cold water affect on my regs as they sounded funny during the first (Tasmania) dive

his response.... "were you wearing a hood"

duh!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom