Close Call! What's the deal TSA...?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How stupid to try this now...?
'Pyrotechnic device' found on domestic flight - CNN.com

New York (CNN) -- A man was questioned by the FBI after he was discovered to have taken a "pyrotechnic device" onto an airline flight from Baltimore, Maryland, to New York City, FBI spokesman Richard Kolko told CNN Monday.
The incident comes in a period of heightened alert on airlines, following what authorities describe as a failed plot to detonate an explosive device on an international flight into the United States on Christmas Day.
Authorities found that Thomas Ouellette, 67, of Bonita Springs, Florida, brought the pyrotechnic device onto the flight that landed at LaGuardia Airport Sunday night and interviewed him, Kolko said. The device was placed in evidence, and Ouellette was issued a federal summons to appear in federal court, Kolko said.
Robert Nardoza public affairs officer with the U.S. attorney's office for the Eastern District of New York, said Monday that no court date had been set for Ouellette, and that the office had no further comment on the case.

Hmmmmm...is that a lighter, a sparkler, or a stick of dynamite he was carrying? "Pyrotechnic Device" is a fairly broad term. Reporting (and repeating) the news too early on sure makes for some conjecture.

These are the same passengers that will stay on a plane with no water and overflowing toilets for six hours while it waits on the tarmac. The passenger rights law now says they only have to stay on the plane for three hours. Mutiny, not likely, they don't want to get arrested and put on homeland security's no fly list. The law abiding passengers are totally under control.
Heard a News comment today that passengers, when asked about the new security measures answered they didn't mind the inconvenience, if it provides more safety and security. :shakehead: I would like to know how the morons coming up with these measures got their jobs.

Israeli airport security procedures.

Let me know when the American traveller is ready to accept that. Think they're complaining now?

From Wikipedia:

Passengers are asked to report three hours before departure. All El Al terminals around the world are closely monitored for security. There are plain-clothes agents and fully armed police or military personnel who patrol the premises for explosives, suspicious behavior, and other threats. Inside the terminal, passengers and their baggage are checked by a trained team. El Al security procedures require that all passengers be interviewed individually prior to boarding, allowing El Al staff to identify possible security threats. Passengers will be asked questions about where they are coming from, the reason for their trip, their job or occupation, and whether they have packed their bags themselves. The likelihood of potential terrorists remaining calm under such questioning is believed to be low (see microexpression).[40] At the check-in counter the passengers' passports and tickets are closely examined. A ticket without a sticker from the security checkers will not be accepted. At passport control passengers' names are checked against information from the FBI, Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), Scotland Yard, Shin Bet, and Interpol databases. Luggage is screened and sometimes hand searched. In addition, bags are put through a decompression chamber simulating pressures during flight that could trigger explosives.[41] El Al is the only airline in the world that passes all luggage through such a chamber.[42] Even at overseas airports, El Al security agents conduct all luggage searches personally, even if they are supervised by government or private security firms.[43]
[edit]Flight security measures
Undercover agents (sometimes referred to as sky marshals) carrying concealed firearms sit among the passengers on every international El Al flight.[44] All El Al pilots are former Israeli Air Force pilots.[45]

The cockpits in all El Al aircraft have double doors to prevent entry by unauthorized persons. A code is required to access the doors, and the second door will only be opened after the first has closed and the person has been identified by the Captain or First Officer.[45] Furthermore, there are reinforced steel floors separating the passenger cabin from the baggage hold.[46] This is intended to strengthen the plane in case of an explosion.
Following an attempt to shoot down an Israeli airliner in 2002,[47] all aircraft in the fleet have been equipped with an infrared countermeasures system called 'Flight Guard', developed by Israeli Aerospace Industries to defend them against anti-aircraft missiles.[48][49][50] Although comparable systems such as CAMPS are now available for civilian aircraft, there is no information to date about any other airlines deploying such a system. Switzerland and other European countries have expressed concern that flares dropped by the Israeli system could cause fires in the vicinity of an airport.[51] However none of the higher risk countries that El Al aircraft fly to have raised any concerns.

Security controversy and passenger profiling
Critics of El Al note that its security checks on passengers include racial profiling[52] and have argued that such profiling is unfair, irrational, and degrading to those subject to such screening. Supporters of El Al argue that there is nothing inherently racist about passenger profiling and that special scrutiny of Muslims may often be necessary for security purposes.

The airline was also criticised by the Hungarian courts for refusing to search luggage with the passenger present, acting against Hungarian domestic laws which stipulate that only authorized officials are able to undertake such searches.[52] A civil case was brought to Supreme Court of Israel on 19 March 2008 alleging that El Al's practice of ethnic profiling singles out Arabs for tougher treatment.[53]

Read more: USATODAY.com - Unfriendly skies are no match for El Al

So...it sounds like they have actual law-enforcement agents working the screening. Wow! imagine having trained people at the check point then what we have now. They ask you questions-much like the ticket takers do now. They search your bags without you being there-so what, we do that now. They racially profile - something we would never do because it makes more sence to us to search an 80 year old woman for explosives then search a 20 something middle eastern man.

I honestly don't see the problem with effective security measures-I mean, if you are going to delay me and make me hate air travel anyway, at least I should get some security in return for my frustrations.

Hmmmmm...is that a lighter, a sparkler, or a stick of dynamite he was carrying? "Pyrotechnic Device" is a fairly broad term. Reporting (and repeating) the news too early on sure makes for some conjecture.
Seeing that he was detained by the FBI, I think we can rule out lighters. :shakehead:

...the way the airlines are taking advantage of this incident, using it as an excuse to reduce flyers to only one carry-on....which can't have 'wheels' on the bag......whatever the heck any of that has with respect to preventing terrorism....almost has me thinking this was an airline conspiracy to raise fees, converting 'free' carry-on baggage into fee-paying checked baggage.

I concur, anyone who has been flying recently knows how many bags are now carried on that in the past would have been checked, but now with the fees, the inconvenience of dragging it along with you makes economic sense.

And the airlines saw all that revenue diverted from new bag fees, and patiently waited for an excuse to chase the bags back under the plane where they can charge for them. Now they have it~!

Todays score:
Airlines 1, Passengers 0

I concur, anyone who has been flying recently knows how many bags are now carried on that in the past would have been checked, but now with the fees, the inconvenience of dragging it along with you makes economic sense.

And the airlines saw all that revenue diverted from new bag fees, and patiently waited for an excuse to chase the bags back under the plane where they can charge for them. Now they have it~!

Todays score:
Airlines 1, Passengers 0

Is this a TSA regulation or just the airlines?

Just make all young male Muslims ride naked, after an enema, in one of those paper gowns they give you in the hospital, with no carry ons, and only after landing in Guantanamo first to be waterboarded, that ought to make it safe? :mooner:

Profiling makes it easier on the terrorists, since all they have to do is find someone who doesn't fit the profile.

Like the red headed white terrorist kid who has blown up several planes in the past? Maybe the 80 year old woman? We need to use better judgment when we screen passengers.

Why are they several lists? No fly list. Watch List etc..
There should be only two lists No Fly and Fly. If you are being watched you can’t fly, if you preach extremism calling on death to America you can’t fly I could go on and on... Terrorist use our freedom against us.

Like the red headed white terrorist kid who has blown up several planes in the past? Maybe the 80 year old woman? We need to use better judgment when we screen passengers.
Hamas actually used to use old ladies.. they'd buy travel insurance on the old ladies, then send them in loaded with explosives. After detonation, they couldn't confirm for sure the lady set off the explosives, so the grandkids would be set for college/first house/etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom