Club requires members to sign "no solo diving" contract - So I won't be renewing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@lindenbruce: I have a buddy named Al, too. Al is short for Aluminum 40, redundant tank, comes diving with me solo when I am not sidemounting.
No alcohol involved.

My Al is only 13. Too young to drink.

Of course. Think about it; if you believe the government has the legitimate moral authority to coerce an adult citizen of informed decisional capacity to wear a seat belt, violating that citizen's liberty to make a personal choice, then the more far reaching question becomes...

Just what can't the government legitimately compel you to do?

Figure out where you think the limit is drawn; then contemplate some of the things that you know have a choice about that are on the wrong side of that.

This mentality is insidiously gaining hold.

I hope the dive club's stance is a misswritten liability prevention clause only to avoid solo diving on club-sponsored activities. Hope Delray lets us know soon.

Richard.

That said, there's a reason there's 'a lot of anger' on the thread. There are a lot of paternalistic big brother nanny state advocates out there ever-ready to take our free will for our own good (as they see it), and we should be vigilantly ready to fight them tooth and nail!

Sorry, I'm not convinced. Even if the waiver really does say that you can't solo dive at all if you want to be a member of the club, I don't think that warrants your call to the battlements.

Gotta say, in our club, anything and everything is up for civil discussion. Anyone can run for office, anyone can vote on bylaws changes, etc... But at the end of the day, it's just a bunch of friends who can get more diving related stuff done by forming a club than they can by just diving together. And to do that, someone has to do the boring organizational work, including putting together the waiver.

If it ever came to fighting tooth and nail about something like this, that would be the last day I did anything for that club.

I must say, I jut realized that we are in the solo forum.

Aren't there special rules in here?

If it ever came to fighting tooth and nail about something like this, that would be the last day I did anything for that club.

And if you elected to include language purporting to regulate the non-club diving activities of your club members, that it was your last day would be best for all involved.

Sent from my Shearwater Petrel using Tapatalk

Of course. Think about it; if you believe the government has the legitimate moral authority to coerce an adult citizen of informed decisional capacity to wear a seat belt, violating that citizen's liberty to make a personal choice, then the more far reaching question becomes...

Figure out where you think the limit is drawn; then contemplate some of the things that you know have a choice about that are on the wrong side of that.

I hope the dive club's stance is a misswritten liability prevention clause only to avoid solo diving on club-sponsored activities. Hope Delray lets us know soon.

Richard.

Seat belt laws were pushed by the insurance companies to put the burden on the driver to reduce the companies' liability exposure. The enforcement is done by local law enforcement because it is profitable for them and often leads to arrests for secondary offences when pulled over for seat belt violations. Don't confuse corporate power with government overreaching. If there is any overreaching it is done on behalf of the insurance companies through their lobbyists.

Seat belt laws were pushed by the insurance companies to put the burden on the driver to reduce the companies' liability exposure. The enforcement is done by local law enforcement because it is profitable for them and often leads to arrests for secondary offences when pulled over for seat belt violations. Don't confuse corporate power with government overreaching. If there is any overreaching it is done on behalf of the insurance companies through their lobbyists.

Here it RI it wasn't the insurance companies pushing the seatbelt law it was the State, local PDs and the towns as well as the usual do-gooders here in RI. GD busy bodies. Now the same A-holes are pushing for primary offense and buying night vision for the cops. It's like a damn police state. Now with govt. healthcare coming it'll be even worse.

I belong to two dive clubs both are paperless. No rules no worries.

I must say, I jut realized that we are in the solo forum.

Aren't there special rules in here?

Yes there are! Members of this subforum are not allowed to dive with others and most certainly are precluded from club joining. I signed that waiver, didn't you?

Of course. Think about it; if you believe the government has the legitimate moral authority to coerce an adult citizen of informed decisional capacity to wear a seat belt, violating that citizen 's liberty to make a personal choice, then the more far reaching question becomes...

Richard.

Rather rare sub-species, don't you think?:wink:

But as John and a couple of other folks pointed out, off-topic, and in re to the actual issue being discussed I'm very much in agreement with your assessment. My take on things would be, that it's just a case of bad wording, and intended to pertain solely to actual club-activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom