Cobalt 2 "bricked"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judagar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello. this is my second Cobalt. First one flooded and Atomic sent me a new Cobalt 2. I've had about 20 dives and this one and now it won't power up. I've tried the AC adaptor and the USB. nothing. Was planning on diving today, but...

Any ideas on what to do??? i like the design and everything about the computer, but seriously doubting the reliability of these after two have quit.

Hello. this is my second Cobalt. First one flooded and Atomic sent me a new Cobalt 2. I've had about 20 dives and this one and now it won't power up. I've tried the AC adaptor and the USB. nothing. Was planning on diving today, but...

Any ideas on what to do??? i like the design and everything about the computer, but seriously doubting the reliability of these after two have quit.

I would send this one back too and give it one more shot. Contact RON in the cobalt forum here on SB. He has always been very helpful

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, and that you are experiencing another problem.

Have you tried a manual reset? Press and hold the BACK and SELECT buttons for 11 seconds to create a hardware reset. That would be the first step.

Is there a possibility that the battery had gone dead? If so, plugging it into USB (rather than the wall adapter) first will send it into boot mode, and the program won't restart unless you do the manual reset above. If you connect to a PC/ Mac with USB, does it show up as BOOTLOADER on the desktop? If so, it is in a mode looking for a firmware update, and completing one should bring it back up. In that case, if you can, just update the firmware.

Another option is to remove and replace the battery, giving a hard power reset- that is pretty much guaranteed to work. I'll send you instructions for this. It's easy, and won't alter your warranty.

Do you know what firmware version this was running?

I'm sending you a PM with contact info, as I very much would like to know more about the circumstances that triggered this. Obviously it should not happen. It's unlikely to be a hardware problem (unless you see water inside, of course). We should be able to get it back up without your having to send it in.

Ron

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 06:25 PM ----------

Additional info for anyone following this (I don't like to leave these stories hanging): I contacted the OP, and we determined that his Cobalt was in boot mode, as it turned up as BOOTLOADER when connected to his Mac. That is the mode for firmware updates, and on updating the firmware he is back up and running.

-Ron

good info thnx

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, and that you are experiencing another problem.

Have you tried a manual reset? Press and hold the BACK and SELECT buttons for 11 seconds to create a hardware reset. That would be the first step.

Is there a possibility that the battery had gone dead? If so, plugging it into USB (rather than the wall adapter) first will send it into boot mode, and the program won't restart unless you do the manual reset above. If you connect to a PC/ Mac with USB, does it show up as BOOTLOADER on the desktop? If so, it is in a mode looking for a firmware update, and completing one should bring it back up. In that case, if you can, just update the firmware.

Another option is to remove and replace the battery, giving a hard power reset- that is pretty much guaranteed to work. I'll send you instructions for this. It's easy, and won't alter your warranty.

Do you know what firmware version this was running?

I'm sending you a PM with contact info, as I very much would like to know more about the circumstances that triggered this. Obviously it should not happen. It's unlikely to be a hardware problem (unless you see water inside, of course). We should be able to get it back up without your having to send it in.

Ron

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 06:25 PM ----------

Additional info for anyone following this (I don't like to leave these stories hanging): I contacted the OP, and we determined that his Cobalt was in boot mode, as it turned up as BOOTLOADER when connected to his Mac. That is the mode for firmware updates, and on updating the firmware he is back up and running.

-Ron

Thanks for the reset stuff with cobalt it has behaved beautifully. Now i have another problem. I messed up the connector between the computer and the USB cable. Any place to get one?

Thanks for the reset stuff with cobalt it has behaved beautifully. Now i have another problem. I messed up the connector between the computer and the USB cable. Any place to get one?

Yes, just contact Atomic directly, or go through any dealer. There're putting a little reinforcement in them now.

-Ron

Yes, just contact Atomic directly, or go through any dealer. There're putting a little reinforcement in them now.

-Ron

Mine just broke also. Is Atomic covering these under warranty(over yr old) because the piece does cost 40 plus dollars?

Any info on atomics policy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom