Cobalt 2 "bricked"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll say that in eight years now working alongside Atomic that’s not been my experience. Deeper Thoughts got caught in a phone system that didn’t let him reach the right people, which was unfortunate miscommunication. But I jumped in because I know that’s not how Atomic operates. I’ve seen them, many times, go far beyond what would be considered normal or even exceptional good service to fix problems for customers. I think if you read threads here an elsewhere you will find the same thing.

-Ron
Had he not came here and posted...what would have been done? The customer service said no. When that usually happens to me I don't keep calling back to get a different answer. He was lucky he had the option, and glad he was fortunate to have this option.

Had he not came here and posted...what would have been done? The customer service said no. When that usually happens to me I don't keep calling back to get a different answer. He was lucky he had the option, and glad he was fortunate to have this option.

Well, yes, if he hadn't engaged in further communication of some sort then probably nothing would have happened.

My point is that the original answer he received- that the adapter was not covered under warranty- was wrong, not Atomic's policy, and that anything less than stellar customer service is atypical for Atomic. Mistakes and miscommunications happen even in the best companies. This is one instance, it got fixed as soon as the right people in Atomic found out about it. I don't think you can generalize about Atomic's overall customer service based on a single instance like this.

-Ron

I have just return from a weeks diving in Greece sadly to find that my atomic cobalt 2 dive computer has failed after approximalty only 100 dives, the dive computer does not turn on and despite me using the AC wall charger and also holding the left and right button to reset it, it still does not work, I'm devastated as i always took such great care of the unit and washed it very carefully after each dive and also used it within operating spec, I believe that it has slightly flooded as i can see small droplets of water inside the screen and it is slightly fogged, I have read online that a huge number of people are suffering problems like this, i payed a large sum for this dive computer and am really concerned that it is totally ruined and to no fault of my own, please can you let me know how i can send this to be repaired?

Laurens,

If any water has gotten into the Cobalt interior the electronics will not be repairable. Even if they could be brought back up, they would no longer be reliable. Your Cobalt sounds like a candidate for replacement.

You don’t say when or where you purchased the Cobalt or how old it is, but this would be a case for warranty replacement. I believe you will find Atomic to be extremely responsive for service and warranty. If you purchased the Cobalt through Atomic Europe that would be the place to go for warranty service. Kontaktieren Sie Atomic Aquatics A problem like this would not be prevented by good care, it’s a problem with a faulty seal.

There were case issues causing leaks with the Cobalt 1 a number of years ago, when the product was first introduced, those mostly involved water getting into the battery compartment. There was a problem with some high pressure seals that actually resulted in a recall, also early in the product life. Atomic has for some time tested each Cobalt 2 prior to shipping with at least 10 wet dives to 50m, and leaks in the Cobalt 2 have been rare. That’s not to say the Cobalt 2 has been trouble free- the first couple of months production suffered a great deal from a batch of depth sensors that were defective from the manufacturer and did not fail until after some period of use- so they got through factory testing and were sold. Cobalts were removed from production for several months until this issue was identified and solved. There were also issues with corrosion in the buttons, these have been definitively corrected. A great many changes were made to the design of the case internally nearly two years ago to go after any identified weak points.

While the earlier Cobalts had more problems than acceptable, I believe what you see with recent Cobalt production- in the last two years or so- is a company that is very open about any problems and very proactive about fixing them, and engages fully on forums like this, rather than a computer than has an unusual number of problems. No product is going to be without some issues, but Atomic has in my view- based on 35+ years in the field- been excellent in dealing with them.

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

-Ron

Reactions: tep
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom