Cobalt Coast or Sunset House

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just spent 5 nights at Sunset House diving with my son and had a wonderful time. Only real complaint is that they only use AL72 tanks on all dives. If Cobalt Coast uses AL80's (I think they do), I would probably try them my next trip.

(I also mentioned this on another thread, and it's kind of taken over the original topic - not trying to hijack another thread, just posting the info because I thought it was warranted here)

We've stayed at Sunset twice and have no plans to stay there again. I much prefer the rooms and facilities and pretty much everything at Cobalt Coast. And we've always found Cobalt Coast at least as social as Sunset House if not more so. And I really like the location, in a quiet area but it's not that long a drive to restaurants, shopping, etc.

If my priority was diving, the heart of SMB is the last place I would stay, unless I was with non-divers who really wanted that or had to be on a beach. If I wanted to do a condo I might consider some of the condos north of the zoo.

If you want to party at MyBar, have fairly easy access to restaurants in Georgetown and along Seven Mile Beach, then Sunset House is probably for you. If you prefer a quieter place with excellent accomodations, much better shore diving, excellent food between dives and your choice of comradery with or solitude from other divers, then Cobalt Coast should be your choice. My wife and I have stayed at both. We keep going back to Cobalt Coast.

Going to Cobalt Coast is like going to see old friends, even if it's the first time. Restaurant staff, Divetech staff and DMs and Dora and Arie at the front desk are more than accomodating. The rooms are much nicer than Sunset House. Each one is like a suite, with a separate bedroom and sitting room with a hide-away sofa.

I recommend the meal plan. If you add up the cost of meals ($60 US per person per day) and compare that to the cost of rental car and restaurants in US dollars, you'll be money ahead. But, it's not just money. Dinner comes with appetiser, entree and dessert. The variety -- from calimari and conch fritters to hamburgers to Indian curry to English fish and chips to the daily specials and soups -- all are excellent. You won't find better north of the Ritz.

As for diving; with Sunset House, you'll be diving the West Wall and the South Wall. Personally, of the two, I like the South Wall better because you won't be hearing cruise ship anchors clanking through the water, you won't have to compete for sites with all the other dive operations on Seven Mile, you won't have "submarines" chasing you off the reef if you dive near Georgetown. But, this time of year, if you stay at Cobalt Coast, you'll be diving the spectacular North Wall, which I think offers the best variety and most dramatic wall dives on Cayman. Ask to go to Ghost Mountain.

The better shore diving will be with Cobalt Coast/Divetech. Lighthouse Point has one of the nicest, easiest to access shore dives (and night dives) on the island. Three weeks ago, my wife and I saw a minimum of one turtle every time we dove Lighthouse or Cobalt. On one night dive at Cobalt Coast I saw the usual reef fish, large lobsters and crabs along with Slipper Lobster, Spotted and Green Morarys (2 each), an octopus, a Yellow Stingray, a large Porcupinefish, a juvenile Drum and squid.

Since staying at Cobalt Coast, my wife and I talk about , "next time, let's try someplace different," until one of us asks, "Why?" And, we realize that when you consider all that you get, there's no other place that offers better.

Attachments

• DSCN1387.jpg
    DSCN1387.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN1458.jpg
    DSCN1458.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN1510rev.jpg
    DSCN1510rev.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN1328rev.jpg
    DSCN1328rev.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN1427.jpg
    DSCN1427.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 65
Yet another vote for Cobalt Coast...

I stayed there with a large group from our LDS back in April 2008. Ari (the owner) and his staff run a great resort and Dive Tech is top notch. If you don't want to pay the price for a taxi to town, or learn to drive on the left you can take the bus to town. They run somewhat regularly along the main road near Cobalt Coast. Just take a walk and flag the bus down when it comes by. It stops to pick up passengers along the way so its not a fast trip to town but hey, "no worries mate", your on vacation. On the return to Cobalt, you can give the bus driver an extra $$ or 2 and he'll drop you right in front of the resort.

Thanks for the information on Cobalt Coast Resort.
Our lds has a summer trip planned with them.
We are looking forward to the experience.

I spoke with Dora over the phone today and am checking airfare now; we will probably be at Cobalt after July 31

Thank you everyone for the information

We have plans to stay at Cobalt Coast for 2 weeks during the Christmas holiday. Looking forward to the shore diving and a few tech dives as well.

Anybody know what the weather is like in late December? Does the shore diving get shut down often then?

We have plans to stay at Cobalt Coast for 2 weeks during the Christmas holiday. Looking forward to the shore diving and a few tech dives as well.

Anybody know what the weather is like in late December? Does the shore diving get shut down often then?

Mickey, I can't tell you about late December, but if it's like late November or early February, it can be fairly breezy. There were days when the pier at Cobalt Coast was closed for shore diving because of the wind and breakers.

But, don't let that discourage you. While Cobalt Coast was closed, a mile down the coast at Lighthouse Point the shore diving was just fine. That's where Divetech has a satellite dive shop and a coffee shop next door. I actually prefer shore diving at Lighthouse point to Cobalt Coast. There's much less of a swim to the mini-wall. And, if you're staying at Cobalt Coast, the Divetech crew is very happy to shuttle you to and from Lighthouse Point.

Enjoy!

Grant

Agree with the comments about Lighthouse point. We were there a few weeks ago.Diving is great,shorter surface swim and tends to be more sheltered.

There is a plan C for shore diving in rough weather but the dive shops most likely wont suggest it.

Just North of Lighthouse point (200 yards???) is a Boatramp cut into the Ironshore.You can see it on google maps. Its extremely sheltered. I did several dives from there a few years ago when the ladder at Lighthouse Point was not an option.

This area is more of a local fishermans hang out rather than a regular diving entrance, so use discretion and courtesy if you need to go there.

Most of these photos were taken off Lighthouse Point
http://gallery.me.com/wonderslug#100097&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=3

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom