• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cold induced near-panic!

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Luis_DLH, Apr 17, 2018.

1. EireDiver606

EireDiver606 DIR Practitioner

Yes it was stupid. It was in very shallow water though, only about 5-8 meters and 35 mins.
    But yeah lesson learned, never doing that again......

2. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I don't know if I've actually stumbled into the guy I was talking about, but in any case: I don't blame the n00b, he probably didn't - and shouldn't be expected to - know better. The responsibility was on his club's DO, who, with proper experience, should have looked out for him.

3. Luis_DLH

Luis_DLH Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    The weirdest part was that this swim thru was the size of a garage which added to the confusion because I have been through some that were alot tighter than that with no problem.

4. Rred

Rred Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Afterdark-
    "My experiences with narcosis in cold water"
    Bear in mind that the USN has had "cold water tables" for many years, formally recognizing that colder water and colder divers will combine to make for more bent divers--and more narcosis along the way. No big surprise there.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  5. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Yes, thanks for reminding me. I wasn't trying to surprise anyone, I was trying to relate to the OP's experience.

I'm a life long NE diver most of my diving is done in cold, low vis water so my experience with cold water is plenty. Last time I saw more than 25' vis was 2011. I'm pretty sure what the OP experienced and my experiences are probably caused by similar conditions. I have no phobia's of closed spaces, I worked in closed places for 20 years inspecting nuke subs. However I've noticed the combination of cold, dark depths 70+FSW and some kind of visual trigger, sometimes brings on a feeling of fear that I've never experienced any where else at any other time.