Cold water but hot day: drysuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dive as such (Hot day/ cold water), I set up my equipment completely, then I get dressed in the drysuit & undergarment. After dressing, I get into the water & cool off,... I then get out of the water, get into my equipment & get back into the water before I pass out.

That! This is exactly what I do as well. I also try to dry up near the water so that I can splash in quickly. Sometimes I just wait for my buddy in the water and gear up after.

That! This is exactly what I do as well. I also try to dry up near the water so that I can splash in quickly. Sometimes I just wait for my buddy in the water and gear up after.
Yes, my drysuit buddy years ago would get into the water ASAP if the dive here was in August or Sept.

Do breathable drysuits help? Anyone with first hand experience?
Conceptually that is very appealing, but afaik many fabrics have suffered from poor durability.
I sweat alot. Dipping before donning heavy gear helps. It also serves as a predive drysuit check.

Do breathable drysuits help? Anyone with first hand experience?
Conceptually that is very appealing, but afaik many fabrics have suffered from poor durability.
I sweat alot. Dipping before donning heavy gear helps. It also serves as a predive drysuit check.

I am interested in knowing this as well. The Aqualung Fusion Aircore is supposed to be a waterproof breathable fabric. One shop I visited was not a fan of breathable fabric drysuits due to delamination issues/concerns. We'll see if this proves to be a problem with the Aqualung suit but it would be good to know what other divers have experienced.

-Z

When I dive as such (Hot day/ cold water), I set up my equipment completely, then I get dressed in the drysuit & undergarment. After dressing, I get into the water & cool off,... I then get out of the water, get into my equipment & get back into the water before I pass out.
This is how I always do it as well.

One of the most important things is to wear a really good wicking base layer as no matter how much you take it easy, you will sweat and there will be condensation inside the suit.
And this is why I always use a thin Merino wool wicking layer under my undergarments, summer or winter. Even if the underwear is noticeably damp from sweat, it provides decent insulation. I've actually been colder underwater in spring/summer than in the winter because I got too sweaty before splashing.

My personal thoughts:
1) Set up as much gear as possible before getting into the suit. Keep the zip open as long as practical as that is your only way of losing sweat from inside the suit.
2) Once suited, try to get in the water as quick as possible (even to the point of having your BCD etc in the water and donning it there if doing a shore entry and the slope suits)
3) If immediate entry isn't possible, get some cold water and douse yourself with it (or get in the water). Even getting your head wet will help dramatically with cooling.
4) Hood and gloves - absolute last minute items
5) On exit, get your gear off as quick as practical to allow you to open your zip

I take a small bucket and rope and after suiting up pour water over my head. I can do this while the boat is still setting the mooring. Makes a big difference.

I have a Fusion and it heats up fast once you’re inside it. What I do is get everything rigged up before I put on the undergarments and the suit. I bring a gallon of water specifically to wet down the outer shell as soon as the zippers are sealed. The shell breathes pretty well, so a slight breeze will give some relief while you finish gearing up. If you are on a boat, a bucket of sea water will probably do the job also. The good news is the Fusion transmits hat better than the thicker crushed neoprene suits.

I also pre-wet my wetsuit on hot days to take advantage of the evaporative cooling also.

Great suggestions all. Thanks for taking the time to respond, I greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
-Z

I have that here. Arizona in the summer. 105°F in the summer is a cool day. 110°F+ is common. But the local lake is green on top and cold (but clear) on the bottom. Usually somewhere in the 50°s.

As others have stated, get the gear ready early. I have been known to prep everything at home. Pull it out of the car, show up, turn on the air and it is ready to go. Why suffer trying to put everything together and test it in the heat when you don't have to?

Drysuit suit up is legs first. Suspenders to hold it up. Arms tucked into the suspenders. Under garments may be on or off the upper body. If not fully dressed, tucked in the suspenders like the drysuit arms. I can wait in this condition for a fair bit of time (boat ride, surface interval)

When ready to get wet, finish dressing quickly and slip into the gear. Only a couple of minutes and in the water. You have to plan the variables. Will it be a long walk? Can you set the gear by the water first then dress up? Can you park right by the water? Boat ride?

As for the breathable drysuits, I picked up a Ursuit BDS. Does it help? Well it doesn't hurt. I think it is better than my old suit. But won't cure it completely. Not worth it to replace what you have, but something to consider if buying new. I am unsure how much I feel from the evaporative cooling compared to anything else.

Something I found that is odd but helps. When you get out of the water don't break the vacuum pack right away. As the suit evaporates dry it cools. Keep that close to the body, don't fill the suit with a bunch of air (which is how you stay warmer). Get out of the gear first then break the seal. Undo the upper body and go back into the arms in the suspenders so they are not dragging the ground. And off to the next step (hauling gear, finish undressing, whatever the plans call for)

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom