Cold water but hot day: drysuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pack the collar around your neck seal full of ice once your suit is on. It's like turning on the air conditioning.
I also stick my hood in the cooler packed full of ice, feels pretty good when you pull it on :)
For long boat rides, I'll stick my thermals in a dry bag and put them in the cooler as well. doesn't last long, but helps hold the sweat back for a few minutes at least.
That's an idea I haven't heard of before. Probably some sort of way ice would help us wetsuit divers as well. In July in the NYC area it can get pretty darn hot gearing up even in my shorty.

I used the waterproof ex2 all winter season. It was tolerable even in a thick undergarment when it was much warmer on land. It does not breath when wet, so you have to decide whether to breath when dry or cool off in the water, but not breathe.

Since it does not breathe when wet, I always has some moisture in the suit after use.

The pee zip has proven to be quite useful out of the water. I may not even put in a pee valve.

The thigh pockets need to be bigger.

No durability issues to date.

As others said, get all your gear staged and situated first and suit up last. Also, I often go into the water for a few minutes right after I put my suit on and make sure I wet/soak my face and head prior to putting on my rig and actually diving. This helps me cool off a bit before the final push of getting into my rig. Lastly, stay hydrated, preferably with ice water.

Pack the collar around your neck seal full of ice once your suit is on. It's like turning on the air conditioning.
I also stick my hood in the cooler packed full of ice, feels pretty good when you pull it on :)
For long boat rides, I'll stick my thermals in a dry bag and put them in the cooler as well. doesn't last long, but helps hold the sweat back for a few minutes at least.

I like the ice idea! I usually have a cooler full of ice for post dive drinks and to hold anything I catch.

What is the secret to not dying of heat stroke when getting geared up for a drysuit dive on a hot day?

-Z

Get adjusted to your drysuit, and gear all on under 5 min and wait for you buddy in the water.

There is another thing called, trilaminate

There is another thing called, trilaminate
And how does that help against heatstroke topside? When I switched from a neoprene DS to a trilam DS, I was just as hot topside since I also switched from just wool underwear to wool plus undergarment

You can put on trilaminate much faster on that a neoprene drysuit, is your wool plus undergarment not the problem ?

Depending of the time of the year it is logical to change the undersuit thickness, and if you are diving lakes where below 20m it is sitll very cold, then you need to learn to put all on under 5 min and jump in the water to not overheat.

Already lots of good advice here so I don't have a lot to add.

Preparation beforehand is definitely the key. Have everything ready and checked BEFORE you gear up in your drysuit. You should not be fiddling around or assembling your gear in a fully zipped up drysuit if it's 90 degrees F (~32c). It's good way to get heat stroke.

If on a shore dive don't be afraid to walk down to the water's edge to cool off. On a dive charter (if the conditions allow) I typically put the ladder down and have people climb into the water to cool off. This helps a lot. Poor water on your head, dry hydrated, etc.

Like @Tug said, typically I put my suit halfway on with arms around my waist until I'm ready to fully suit up.

I'm definitely going to try the ice trick that @kierentec mentioned. :)

I get all gear prepped and zip up last minute.
get in water and usually dunk head and face for a good 15-30 seconds before hood and mask i find it makes a huge difference. i also try not to dive when its more than 25C outside. local water hits maybe 8 C max

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom