Colder Weather Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airborne51

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just moved to the PNW (Seattle area) - Which regs perform better in the "slightly" colder temperatures?

Environmentally sealed regs work well. Diaphragm First stages are almost a must.
I dive with a Mk. 17 / A700 combo. It have performed well under the ice and in the coldest possible fresh water.

Mk17/G250V Scubapro is a good combo.

Also, the Poseidon Xtreme regs are arguably some of the best for cold and ice diving, notably the first stage.

Read this report on a test conducted a few years ago:

The United States Navy Experimental Diving Unit: Testing in Antartica

Excerpt:

At the other end of the spectrum, the Poseidon Xstreme was the only regulator that suffered no free flows at McMurdo, and is also the only regulator that never free flowed during NEDU's rigorous 2004 testing program for cold water regulators.

Though finding a good tech for the Poseidons can be hard, nothing breathes like them and they're tough as nails. The rub? They are an acquired taste, are quirky, and are not authorized for certain diving philosophies.

ScubaPro MK25/S600. I used it for ice diving this winter on a 20 degree day with 36 degree water temp. Reg operated perfectly. I was outside for about 5 hours...no problems.

If you are doing the service D1 HOG is a great 1st stage.
If you are getting it serviced go with the Scubapro MK17 for the 1st.

As far a seconds there is not a better second than the Scubapro G250 but again if you are buying the HOG just go with the D1 second as it is a great performer.

I would avoid the posidens as they are a pain to service and get serviced.

Both of the above first are balanced sealed with the plus on the HOG of a swivel LP turrent.

Good luck.

The Mk25 and Mk17 are both good firsts. Me and the missus both use them in very cold waters.
She has a pair of GV250 seconds and have R395 and A700 seconds and again, all perform very well.

Scubapro Mk17/A700. I use it and I dive just north of you, near Vancouver BC. I got mine last fall and dove with it all winter including several days where the surface temps were below zero (Celsius). Coldest water temp so far was 4 (or about 38f) and I have had no problems whatsoever.

For PNW diving, I can't think of a better reg set.

G250 came back as the G250V (vintage). Have both, very similar. MK25's can work, but ask DA Aquamaster about this reg and extreme cold.

If the air temps are substantially below freezing, keep everything that you are breathing underwater.

Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom