Collecting antique bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Todays bottles, not a bad day.
ZDD

Attachments

• IMG00230.jpg
    IMG00230.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 379
Zodiac, very impressive. Was this all you, or did you have some help? Looks like they are in great condition.
These were the finds of me and one of my diving buddies. 5 of us went out but only 2 of us found keepers. I guess it just wasn't their turn but that dosn't meen they don't do well, here is a pic of a spoon one of my buddies found this summer of a White Star Line silver spoon from the officer's mess.
ZDD

Attachments

• IMG00226.jpg
    IMG00226.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 331
This weeks finds, Gary found the nice free blown (circa 1800s). John got the mother load, a mother ink some ships china several clay pipes, a milk, a small calone bottle and a couple of ceramic jars.
I came up with a beer bottle from the late 1800s and a Cod stopper (Niagra bottle) complete with the marble and gasket inside. These bottles are rare because kids use to brake them open to get the marble out. The marble was used as the stopper and to drink from it you wauld have to push the marble down to overcome the internal pressure and there is a pinched section inside the bottle that would catch the marble and hold it so you could take a drink. The Cod Stopper bottle was not in production for too long.
ZDD

Attachments

• IMG00238.jpg
    IMG00238.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG00041-20101212-1257.jpg
    IMG00041-20101212-1257.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 193
New Years Dive, Was a good day for diving but I got scunked, didn't get a thing. Yes it it happens to the best of us. One of the guys did get a good Cod stopper from Bermuda, nice embosed picture of a steam engine. Also, lots of clay pipes and a few crocks an ink well and some other goodies.

A toast to the new year full of treasure.
ZDD

Attachments

• IMG00246.jpg
    IMG00246.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC02656.jpg
    DSC02656.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 209
I dove with a guy for many years that loved finding bottles. Below are photos of some of his finds from the Cooper River in South Carolina. I think he still does river charters for sharks teeth, bottles, civil war pieces, etc.

Back Water Diversions

botles-1.jpg

botles-2.jpg

botles-3.jpg

empire.jpg

Truly some nice finds Lee, we typically do our bottle diving in the winter when we can't get out on the wrecks. In Feb me and two of my buddies went to St. Augustine, FL. to do some bottle diving but found it was off limits to diving in the harbour there. Perhaps we should have stopped in the Carolinas and did some Cooper river diving.
ZDD

Well, I just returned from another trip, this time it was to Winnipeg in the middle of our country where ther is no real diving. There is a dive shop there, I saw it with my own two eyes, Kind of feel sorry for them there.
Is any one out there still bottle diving, when I was away my buddies were out and recovered some goodies that I thought I would post some pics.

There are actually 5 (I think) dive shops in Winnipeg :D

In Feb me and two of my buddies went to St. Augustine, FL. to do some bottle diving but found it was off limits to diving in the harbour there.
ZDD

I'm from there (St. Aug native). Being the oldest city in the US with a *ton* of history floating around, they are very sensitive to relic hunting- or, I should say, they've gotten sensitive about it in recent years. I was on an archaeological dig they did on the Lighthouse grounds 10+years back- it was almost as easy as "Dig Random Hole, Pull Old Relics Out". Whenever people build in the historic district, archies must be involved- it's kind of a nightmare...

St. Aug is one of those places that makes every relic hunter's mouth water, until you realize that the places where one would be most apt to hunt are heavily restricted. There are some private properties, though :wink:

As far as getting in the water, they are *still* stumbling across very old, historically significant wrecks in the harbor area, which isn't even all that big... but yeah... I too would love to get in the water by the Castillo De San Marcos with a Seahunter MKII and recover a few cannonballs or god only knows what else is down there... Back in the day, people used to do just that and no one cared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom