Colon problems and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c r0ck 1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey as some of you already know im starting my diving cert. class on nov 17th.

I have a health problem called Diverticulosis (i know it says "diver" lol, but has nothing to do with diving.. lol) Its a Colon problem. For those of you who dont know what it is just look it up and you can get info. (dont want to get too in detail cause then it would be a super long post!)

I have no problem swimming or snorkeling. Just a little discomfort on my lower left side that im getting checked out on the 7th by my gi doctor.

The question is; WHen it comes to diving. will the pressure effect my insides? This might sound like a Stupid Question but im new to diving and have no idea. Cause i know that pressure effects things like electronics and stuff..

Welcome and congratulations on starting your classes.

I have a mild case of diverticulosis. My physician suggested I take metamucil or a generic substitute daily to help ease any symptoms. I use the WalMart generic form.
I have done so faithfully for the past three years since I was diagnosed and not had any re-occurances since. He said there have been studies that indicate daily use can actually repair your colon. So far, so good for me.

I have not heard of any adverse effects caused by diving and I have suffered none. I think you just need to know your body. You do not want to be underwater in a wetsuit or even worse a drysuit and have the call of nature come over you. Especially if the call is really urgent!

I have had only 1 close call and I decided to postpone the dive until I had answered the call. I was glad I did because the term "Warhammer" kept going through my mind. You don't want that!

Do a thread search for "Warhammer" and you'll see what I mean.

I apologize if there is TMI in this thread. But a diver has to help other divers, right?

Hope this helps!

Your innards are essentially incompressible fluid and when diving all air spaces get equalized to the pressure surrounding you. I don't foresee a problem.

Searching the DAN site I found this.

The side effects that Chipwd eluded to can be a PITA so get it treated as directed. Some forms can be surgically corrected. I had a Meckel's Diverticulum excised in 2000 and it cleared up problems I didn't know I had!

Pete

well i was in the hospital for 6 days last month and they daid one of my diverticuli had bursted and i had to stay on meds to cure it.. but the doctors said they recomend the voluntary sergery.. So im going to get my (rear) probed on the 7th.. if you know what i mean.. and they will see exactly what needs to be done at that time.. and i just got a letter saying i need to cal to reschedule this so i gotta call tomorrow and see what they are talkin about.. hopefully it dont mess up my cert. class.

Ouch!

Good luck!

Let's see if I can help with a little information.

The large intestine (colon) is a tube with walls composed of muscle fibers (among other things). Small vessels perforate these walls to bring nutrients to the inner lining. Where these blood vessels come through, there's a point of weakness in the wall. Over a long period of time, if the pressure inside the colon is high (eg. hard, relatively dehydrated stool), you can develop outpouchings of the inner lining through these weak points. The colon then looks like it's got a lot of little blisters on the outside of it. This is called diverticulosis. Diverticulosis is important because these outpouchings, or diverticuli, can cause problems. They can bleed, and they can also get infected.

If they become inflamed/infected, they will cause abdominal pain and fever. This is called diverticulITIS. Diverticulitis is an acute illness with a spectrum of severity, ranging from moderate abdominal pain to abscess formation or perforation, which requires emergency surgery. The development of diverticulitis takes time -- It's not something that would occur over the time span of a single dive, for example.

Diverticulosis is something people can live with for years and years without any symptoms at all, and should not affect your decision to dive.

Intestinal gas will compress at depth and reexpand to its original size on ascent. There are no issues of pressure differentials across the colon wall to worry about.

Let's see if I can help with a little information.

The large intestine (colon) is a tube with walls composed of muscle fibers (among other things). Small vessels perforate these walls to bring nutrients to the inner lining. Where these blood vessels come through, there's a point of weakness in the wall. Over a long period of time, if the pressure inside the colon is high (eg. hard, relatively dehydrated stool), you can develop outpouchings of the inner lining through these weak points. The colon then looks like it's got a lot of little blisters on the outside of it. This is called diverticulosis. Diverticulosis is important because these outpouchings, or diverticuli, can cause problems. They can bleed, and they can also get infected.

If they become inflamed/infected, they will cause abdominal pain and fever. This is called diverticulITIS. Diverticulitis is an acute illness with a spectrum of severity, ranging from moderate abdominal pain to abscess formation or perforation, which requires emergency surgery. The development of diverticulitis takes time -- It's not something that would occur over the time span of a single dive, for example.

Diverticulosis is something people can live with for years and years without any symptoms at all, and should not affect your decision to dive.

Intestinal gas will compress at depth and reexpand to its original size on ascent. There are no issues of pressure differentials across the colon wall to worry about.

Thanks. Hopefully when i get the colon sweep they just find some polups and clean them out.. but im pretty sure they are gonna operate. that might delay things.. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom