Colon problems and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Intestinal gas will compress at depth and reexpand to its original size on ascent. There are no issues of pressure differentials across the colon wall to worry about.

What about gas that develops at depth? A 5ata bit of flatus can be devastating on a 10' hang.

My Dad has this, is not a diver, but went through a surgery recently. I have a lot of info on it, PM me if you would like me to share.

You do not want to dive with an active flair-up. You body produces a LOT of gas during most episodes and the gas produced at depth will have to go somewhere when you surface and since an episode narrows the bowel it can prevent the gas from escaping and that is not fun!! I know this from personal experience, a long shallow dive bacame a quite painful experience.

I had to give up diving for 3 years due to my unreasonable fear of the surgery, this is not a condition to be fooled with. My putting treatment off resulted in 2 major surgeries instead of the single laproscopic procedure that can be done if things are addressed in a timely manner.

Again, let me emphasize that there are two different conditions being discussed here. The OP says he has diverticulosis -- But he is symptomatic, and facing surgery, which means he has had at least one attack of diverticulitis. Somebody with active diverticulitis is ill and, at least in my opinion, should not dive, simply because it's possible to get quite sick from this disease, and I would not want to have that happen while out for the day on a dive boat. Somebody with diverticulosis is almost always asymptomatic, and this is NOT a contraindication to diving.

Somebody with diverticulosis is almost always asymptomatic, and this is NOT a contraindication to diving.

I'll disagree here. I was asymotomatic when I had my incident while diving (no pain, cramping, fever or other significant symptoms). The problem I has was that repeated bouts of diverticulitis had left my colon quite scarred so the internal diameter was reduced as was the elasticity, net result acculutated gas had nowhere to go, not an experience I'd wish on my worst enemy. I suppose perhaps my case was extreme and atypical, but for sure it could have been bad, my Dr started using terms like "perforated bowel" and "death" which got my attention in a big way.

well im 29 and thank god im catching this early.. im going for the colonoscopy on the 7th and they will tell me what needs to be done.. if i need surgery so be it.. i just want to be right and enjoy diving!

-c rock

I'll disagree here. I was asymotomatic when I had my incident while diving (no pain, cramping, fever or other significant symptoms). The problem I has was that repeated bouts of diverticulitis had left my colon quite scarred so the internal diameter was reduced as was the elasticity, net result acculutated gas had nowhere to go, not an experience I'd wish on my worst enemy.(sic)

Hi Oside Jimc,

Not to belabor the issue, but as elsewhere words and meanings are important in medicine. In fact, precision and knowledge can be critical on a diving medicine forum.

TSandM was correct when she said, "Somebody with diverticulosis is almost always asymptomatic, and this is NOT a contraindication to diving."

As has been said, in order to develop diverticulitis one must first have diverticulosis. However, many folks have diverticulosis (e.g., about 60% of those over age 60 in the USA) who never have a bout of diverticulitis. Only about 15-20% of those with diverticulosis ever develop a ruptured/infected diverticulum. The rest remain without signs or symptoms throughout life.

You reportedly have a history of repeated, and apparently severe, incidents of diverticulitis, with resultant scarring of the colon, thereby reducing its caliber, and loss of elasticity, both likely permanent. This is a very different situation indeed than the individual who has diverticulosis but either remains asymptomatic or experiences only a single or few minor events of infection.

Clearer?

Regards,

DocVikingo

OK>. heres the deal.. I just got back from being violated. The doctor said "Your colon looks good." "You just have a minir case or colitis in the lower part of your colon".

I drank the crap last night and you all know the outcome of that. :) I really was the captain last night!.. Ok then i went to the hospital in the morning. They gave me iv and then made me wait like 45 mins with o2, and all this other crap hooked to me. And i had alot of time to think. THen the lady comes in and says ok its time. she has 2 viles with her she says the first one is medecine and the other 2 will put you to sleep.. I never got past watching the first one go in. Woke up Violated in the room. And i was forced to pass gas or i could not leave!.. HAHAHA.. Seriously i was. Then the i get a whatever i want to eat.. i aid just get me a gingerale (which i never drank anyway). And now im home with my son at the sitter so i can rest..

So i guess the new question is "whats worst colitis or diverticulitis"?..

Heres something funny.. I get 2 text messages.. this what they where...

"At least the doc gets you high before he hits it!"

"Hey carlos if the docs hands are on your shoulders during the procedure then its not a colonoscopy"

Yea these are the people i call friends.. LOL

Thanks all for the best wishes hopefully what i was diagnosed with is not bad.. And the good news is the doc said i DO NOT need an operation!!!

Thanks Again..

-C r0ck 1

I suppose perhaps my case was extreme and atypical, but for sure it could have been bad, my Dr started using terms like "perforated bowel" and "death" which got my attention in a big way.

My dive buddy ended up with a ruptured colon a couple days after a dive but we can't be certain the dive had anything to do with the rupture. The rupture happened with such force his bladder ruptured as well and the two basically "mated" which prevented him from dying. By the time they figured out exactly what was wrong with him (he waited about a month to go to the doctor instead of calling 911 immediately) and scheduled surgery to fix it 5 months had elapsed and it took a couple extra hours to clean all the infection out of his gut. Now THAT was an atypical case.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom