Colon problems and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive buddy ended up with a ruptured colon a couple days after a dive but we can't be certain the dive had anything to do with the rupture. The rupture happened with such force his bladder ruptured as well and the two basically "mated" which prevented him from dying. By the time they figured out exactly what was wrong with him (he waited about a month to go to the doctor instead of calling 911 immediately) and scheduled surgery to fix it 5 months had elapsed and it took a couple extra hours to clean all the infection out of his gut. Now THAT was an atypical case.
Ber :lilbunny:

HOLY COW!.. man.. i would of called 911 like it was my job..

HOLY COW!.. man.. i would of called 911 like it was my job..
Any normal person would, according to him his wife found him on the bathroom floor in extreme pain but he blew it off. Evidently he has a habit of this, did the same thing when his appendix ruptured years ago :shakehead:.

If you feel severe pain like your guts are being ripped apart...call 911..
Ber :lilbunny:

Hi Crock,

When a nurse approaches you with "2 viles" are you supposed to choose the lesser of 2 evils?

As regards, "So i guess the new question is 'whats worst colitis or diverticulitis'? (sic)," the answer is, "It depends."

Diverticulitis can be very painful, result in serious illness if not promptly treated and can recur. On the other hand, given a careful diet and diverticulitis regimen one may never have another bout.

Colitis is a somewhat non-specific term meaning an inflammation of the membrane lining the colon. More specifically, it comes in a number of flavors, including but not limited to ulcerative, Crohn's, infectious, chemical, microscopic (collagenous & lymphocytic) and atypical. Some types are much more problematic than others. Any idea which applies to you? Were you given any medication or dietary advice? Are you scheduled for follow up procedures or visits?

A single, minor event of not otherwise specified colitis without recurrence should pose no problem for scuba once it has completely resolved and the diver is otherwise healthy and fit.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Colitis is a somewhat non-specific term meaning an inflammation of the membrane lining the colon. More specifically, it comes in a number of flavors

Whoa. I'd hate to be the guy to diagnose colon membrane inflammations by flavor. Talk about a dirty job!

Hi Crock,

When a nurse approaches you with "2 viles" are you supposed to choose the lesser of 2 evils?

As regards, "So i guess the new question is 'whats worst colitis or diverticulitis'? (sic)," the answer is, "It depends."

Diverticulitis can be very painful, result in serious illness if not promptly treated and can recur. On the other hand, given a careful diet and diverticulitis regimen one may never have another bout.

Colitis is a somewhat non-specific term meaning an inflammation of the membrane lining the colon. More specifically, it comes in a number of flavors, including but not limited to ulcerative, Crohn's, infectious, chemical, microscopic (collagenous & lymphocytic) and atypical. Some types are much more problematic than others. Any idea which applies to you? Were you given any medication or dietary advice? Are you scheduled for follow up procedures or visits?

A single, minor event of not otherwise specified colitis without recurrence should pose no problem for scuba once it has completely resolved and the diver is otherwise healthy and fit.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Well i was diagnosed with diverticulosos with diverticilitis. the doc said he went in and it looks good and says i have colitis.. i have another appointment next week to go over the biopsy.

Hey Crock,

Hopefully the biopsy results will shed more light on the problem.

Please do let the forum know of the findings, specific diagnosis and treatment, if any.

Best of luck,

DocVikingo

I'll disagree here. I was asymotomatic when I had my incident while diving (no pain, cramping, fever or other significant symptoms). The problem I has was that repeated bouts of diverticulitis had left my colon quite scarred so the internal diameter was reduced as was the elasticity, net result acculutated gas had nowhere to go, not an experience I'd wish on my worst enemy. I suppose perhaps my case was extreme and atypical, but for sure it could have been bad, my Dr started using terms like "perforated bowel" and "death" which got my attention in a big way.

I had almost the exact thing. Had to have a resectioning of my bowel done emergency style...unfortunately by the time I felt ANY pain my bowel had perforated and I was "leaking" bile. My ER Dr. said I was within hours of death by the time I got to the ER. I had the resectioning, healed fine, but have not been in the water since, how long did you wait?

I had almost the exact thing. Had to have a resectioning of my bowel done emergency style...unfortunately by the time I felt ANY pain my bowel had perforated and I was "leaking" bile. My ER Dr. said I was within hours of death by the time I got to the ER. I had the resectioning, healed fine, but have not been in the water since, how long did you wait?

hey when you got time send me a pm and let me know the steps of the operation.. as in wearing a bag and for how long.. thanks ahead.. c r0ck 1

I was out of the water for 9 months after the Colostomy reversal.... Takes a while to get back into physical condition for diving after 2 big operations like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom