Color of your fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R2D2

Registered
Reaction score
What color are your fins and why?

Yellow, black and blue seem to be the basic colours. Yellow for visibility, black for tradition and blue for something?

My fins are blue, 'cause that's the color the best fitting pair had.

Sometimes life IS simple!

Although on second thought I'd probably go for a signal color (yellow or orange), that's if I don't get hooked on those sexy jet fins ;-)

Actually I am interested if there is some rational or pseudo rational reason (other than fashion or marketing reasons) for those certain colors (or others) :)

Well for what its worth i used White fins. With some of the bad vizability we get in Holland my buddies say that they show up well in the torch/lamp beam so we dont get separated as easily.

I dive with my son, so when we dive we both wear one yellow and one blue. It just makes it easy to pick each other out. The ones that I think give the best visibility are pink.

Bill :526:

why are you asking? i thought jet fins only came in black. :laugh:
yellow is a great color if you want sharks to trail you. there is a shark photographer who wears an all yellow wetsuits because it is the most attractive color to sharks. on the great hammerhead/tiger shark expeditions in the bahamas they ask you not to wear anything white. so that seems to work, too.

black. Ordered Pink but SP does not make the jets in pink YET....damn.

"i thought jet fins only came in black."

Actually, in the mid to late 80's Jets were available in pink, baby blue and yellow as well as black. I've recently seen two pair of yellow ones in use.

Mine are the traditional black, but I have painted them to look like I'm wearing silver spats. It's easier for my students to recognize me and I'm less likely to have my fins picked up by mistake.

Mine are Lime 'cause they were on the virtual closeout rack of ScubaToys.com and ~$20 cheaper.
I did have someone comment after a quarry dive that they were easy to see.

-Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom