Comfort of a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmufieldhockey8:
My bp/w is not quite as comfortable on land if I'm hiking 200 yds or so without a wetsuit. Then again, my backplate is too large for me so it comes down low on the back of my hip bones and digs in a bit. (Irriatates my PSIS's for those who know what those are.)
Hmmmm ... do you perchance own a Dive Rite BP?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

One of the things I love about my BP/W is the crotch strap. Makes me feel much more secure and does not allow it to ride up like a traditional jacket style bc.

I think it's obvious that BC's are more comfortable on land....more shoulder material, softer, etc. Underwater? it just feels.........free....nothing but a web belt around your waist, two shoulder straps and a tank on your back. I certified with bc's and I'd probably never wear them again if I had a choice. I've never fully taken my rig off in water, but I do from time to time unbuckle and adjust...and since there is only one buckle to undo, I'd have to assume that it would be just as easy to take the whole thing off.

I don't have any problems taking it off after a dive either..if that is your concern.

Jarrett:
I get really conflicting stories on this topic. The hard core BP/W folks say its just as comfortable as other types of BCDs. Non-BP/W folks say they are no where near as comfortable. I've even talked to stores that sell equal amounts of both and they swear BP/Ws are less comfortable.

What's the deal here? Is it a fit thing? Is it just brainwashing? Can a BP/W be as comfortable on land as a BC when only wearing a T-shirt? Or is that impossible.

Also, how hard is a BP/W to get one/off once its correctly adjusted? Is it much harder to get on/off than a back inflate BC? Is it possible to get in and out of a BP/W under the water? Does it matter on the harness? Transplate, Deluxe, Pro-Fit, Hog?

What's the scoop here?

Here are the issues:

1. Fit: If you are average size give or take a standard deviations, then you should be fine in standard plates. If you are very large or fairly petite then get a large or small plate, or in rare cases a custom plate may be worth it. (I'm told FredT, a member here, makes custom plates for a reasonable prices).

2. Comfort in water: As others have said there's no problem in the water, if anything bp/w feel better because of all the benefits, at least in a wetsuit. In just swim trunks or naked a bp/w may not as comfortable as a padded jacket.

3. Out of water: It's less comfortable, but this only becomes an issue if you have to hike semi-long distances in thin clothing with heavy loads. Solution: Add padding to the shoulder straps - I personally don't need any with 3mm wetsuits or thicker.

4. Donning and doffing: Jackets are easier at first, but after you learn to don and doff the bp/w it's real easy too. If not, then you can just add a quick-disconnect to one of the shoulder straps (they are cheap), but I have felt no need for one.

5. Pockets: Most people add thigh pockets, though you can also add them to the waist strap.

I recently took a look at the Apeks harness & wing and it looked very soft and cushy. Not that I'm thinking of switching :)

You can find differing levels of padding out there, you just need to look. Just as you can find a number of quick release systems that will make donning & doffing much easier.

In a drysuit with 200 weight underwear, my BP/W is plenty comfortable. I've also worn it in the pool with just shorts, and no real problems.

If you can, just try it to see how you like it :)

I did 18 consecutive dives in a DSS single rig in Coz. Only experience with a BP/w but if I was going to have one, that would be it.

The exercise was to compare it to my Stiletto. All the hype here about BP/W's had me wondering. Now I know it's mostly hype and little fact.

The Stiletto offers a lot more of what I want in a BC than does a bp/w but to your questions; Comfort.... probably couldn't tell much difference. Rigging for fit.... just a pull on the straps did the trick. I had the deluxe harness which was nice. Getting it on.... harder. Getting it off.... just as easy. Never wore it with just a t-shirt. Walking around on the boat with a tank... probably easier, a little maybe.

All hail SP/W's.

Now I have a Transpac and a Stiletto.... this comparison is turning out to be more difficult. I like 'em both.

While the straps are not as soft as a traditional BC, the rig as a whole is very stable on land, which means that you don't get a lot of movement/chaffing from the straps. I've done some fairly long walks, and will take a stable pack full of gear over soft padded straps any day when it comes to trekking into a site.

Aloha, Tim

I have a Halcyon Eclipse, Zeagle Stiletto and Tusa Cubic Evolution. All three under the water I have zero problems with bouyancy and find each easy to maintain a horizontal position. The Tusa is more restrictive....but im not that fussy.

Recently did a dive with the Halcyon (Al BP, 2 kilos, camera, video light and strobe in hand, 3/2mm wetsuit. Not to mention I carried all of my GF's weight 4kilo, fins and mask to and from the water) that required a 10 minute walk over lava rock to enter the water. The exit point of the dive required a 20 minute walk in knee deep water over lava rock. Needless to say I think I would have been uncomfortable with any BC in that situation.

Under the water im just not that picky and will dive with a blow up doll as a BC if I needed too. I love diving and dont sweat the small stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom