Comfort of a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mine was uncomfortable at first. i had the straps coming straight, like from the right shoulder to the right hip. my shoulders were too narrow for that, and the straps rubbed my upper arms horribly, giving me bruises like i had been caned.

so, i crossed the straps behind my neck, so that the right shoulder goes to the left hip. now the straps hit me mid-clavicle like they should and the whole thing is very comfortable except when toting the heavy heavy 95s up & down at madison...whoever designed those steps should be shot! :D

shellbackdiver1:
Under the water im just not that picky and will dive with a blow up doll as a BC if I needed too.
I think a picture is needed here.

While not dir I have sold a few Oxycheq Adjustable harnesses. I was out on the weekend with an owner of one and she claimes it's comfortable both walking to the water and in.

It's also very stable.

Personally I dive a standard harness and with a a 6mm suit or drysuit it's "comfort" is fine for me.

Ron

I've got an oceanic probe, a seaquest ADV and my DSS single tank rig. I have no problems diving any of them but I prefer the BPW. The probe was my first bc and I use it when assisting with ow classes in the pool and for some ow dives where I need to demonstrate certain skills and when it would be more benefical for the student. Otherwise I dive the BPW. For me even with the long hose ditch and donning the BP is easier than with the jacket. I dive a hog harness and the webbing is stiff enough that it does not flop around. Tobin clued me in on putting a spool or small light on the scooter ring before doing this as some have experienced the crotch strap floating up under them. And though I've done this I've also tried it with just the ring and it seems to be heavy enough not to be an issue, in the pool anyway. As for comfort I find it much more comfortable on land or in the water(BPW). In the water I wrote a review for the DSS rig comparing my probe to the BPW. To me they both get the job done and done well. But the probe is like a big ol' lumbering B52 where the BPW is like an F16. I literally flew threw the water the first time I had it on. I was not used to having so little drag. It was like wearing nothing compared to the big jacket. I have a pool session monday and have to use the probe. It's my final requirement for DM. Skills, gear exchange, and diver tow. I'd prefer to use the BPW but the person I'm doing the exchange with would never fit into my rig as it is adjusted for me. That is what I really like. once it's set for the suit I'm wearing just slip it on buckle and go. No fooling with extra straps, no chest strap, no slipping it just fits. I may have to adjust the buckle once down for suit compression but that is alot easier than all the pulling and tugging and lengthening or shortening the cummerbund.

JimLap:
I've got an oceanic probe, a seaquest ADV and my DSS single tank rig. I have no problems diving any of them but I prefer the BPW. The probe was my first bc and I use it when assisting with ow classes in the pool and for some ow dives where I need to demonstrate certain skills and when it would be more benefical for the student. Otherwise I dive the BPW. For me even with the long hose ditch and donning the BP is easier than with the jacket. I dive a hog harness and the webbing is stiff enough that it does not flop around. Tobin clued me in on putting a spool or small light on the scooter ring before doing this as some have experienced the crotch strap floating up under them. And though I've done this I've also tried it with just the ring and it seems to be heavy enough not to be an issue, in the pool anyway. As for comfort I find it much more comfortable on land or in the water(BPW). In the water I wrote a review for the DSS rig comparing my probe to the BPW. To me they both get the job done and done well. But the probe is like a big ol' lumbering B52 where the BPW is like an F16. I literally flew threw the water the first time I had it on. I was not used to having so little drag. It was like wearing nothing compared to the big jacket. I have a pool session monday and have to use the probe. It's my final requirement for DM. Skills, gear exchange, and diver tow. I'd prefer to use the BPW but the person I'm doing the exchange with would never fit into my rig as it is adjusted for me. That is what I really like. once it's set for the suit I'm wearing just slip it on buckle and go. No fooling with extra straps, no chest strap, no slipping it just fits. I may have to adjust the buckle once down for suit compression but that is alot easier than all the pulling and tugging and lengthening or shortening the cummerbund.

Your assessment of the situation isn't unlike anything else you do or buy in life... Go buy a "big ol' lumbering B52" for a BC and you have a big ol' lumbering B52 for BC. There are nice compact streamlined jacket BC's you know.

Go buy a new Apex bp/w and put all the accessaries on it and you'll have a big ol' lumbering B52 for a bp/w. Then put on a Scubapro Classic Sport and you'd feel like you were flying through the water.

Jarrett:
I get really conflicting stories on this topic. The hard core BP/W folks say its just as comfortable as other types of BCDs. Non-BP/W folks say they are no where near as comfortable. I've even talked to stores that sell equal amounts of both and they swear BP/Ws are less comfortable.

What's the deal here? Is it a fit thing? Is it just brainwashing? Can a BP/W be as comfortable on land as a BC when only wearing a T-shirt? Or is that impossible.

The deal is the talk is from folks who have not used a rig like this. Its fit; its set up; its taking the time to make the fine tune adjustments. Brainwashing.. could be, some folks just draw conclusions thinking they know 'all the info' about a subject.

When I wear mine out of water it fits like I am wearing a hiking back pack. The difference is I haven't luxerized the harness up with soft stuff in areas that could use soft stuff... yet. :)

Also, how hard is a BP/W to get one/off once its correctly adjusted? Is it much harder to get on/off than a back inflate BC? Is it possible to get in and out of a BP/W under the water? Does it matter on the harness? Transplate, Deluxe, Pro-Fit, Hog?

What's the scoop here?
For me, its like putting on/taking off a hiking back pack.. either in or out of water. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom