Coming back from split fins... suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Deep6 work just fine on Lake Michigan wreck dives (no penetration)!

I went from Atomic Splits (now just used for pool laps) to my Deep6 fins (I have the small/medium in the lighter material) recently and they are fab. Foot pocket is very comfortable. I just got frog kick down the last several weeks and they are working well for me. You can flutter in them, too.

+1 Quattros

Their dry weight is ok, feels close to neutral UW, and allows frog, flutter, and reverse ok.

I've always eyed the Deep6 Eddy, but never tried them, so I cannot compare them, but they look very maneuverable. Hopefully someone can chime in on them soon.

If on the other hand you are foot light and can kick a powerful fin ( you did say lap swim) go for jet fins and “accept no substitutes”.

I'll throw out my recommendation for the Hollis F1 "Batfins". The're a little on the heavy side but when you need to kick in current, they deliver. I got mine last year on a trip to Cozumel and they worked really well in a 5-6 knot current diving Santa Rosa Wall. They're not light by any means but the slightest kick with them (I'm normally doing a modified frog) produces decent thrust. The only issue I run into with them myself is that I always feel like the spring strap is slipping down the back of my heel. So I find myself adjusting a lot. I may need to tighten the springs a bit to compensate. But overall, great fin, fairly decently priced, I don't think you'd be at all unhappy with them.

picshow1-50_1_2.jpe

I really like my Aeris Accel's. Great for travel.

I've used Deep6 Eddy's and Diverite XT's. I prefer the buoyancy of the Deep6 but the foot pocket just is not right for me. I've tried several sizes of the deep6 fins and even modified the spring strap all with less than ideal results. Some people have no problem with the Deep6 foot pockets, so maybe you won't either if you try them. They're fairly inexpensive, I think only like $100 a pair.

The diverites swim about the same as the Deep6 imo, and the foot pocket is perfect for me. Unfortunately, they're negatively buoyant, so I would need shoulder weights to trim out the diverites in a wetsuit (or just shorts). Once you get used to having your gear balanced right, sinking feet really suck.

Back
Top Bottom