Compare the SP S555 and S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vinterwoo

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone give the pro's and con's for the SP S555 and the S600? I like the MK25 and I'm debating what 2nd stage to put on it.

:dork2:

If purchasing new and going for the warranty, then buy an S600. You can make an S555 into an S600 for around $10 in parts though. It is really nice to be able to detune the S600 as a backup, and also the primary S600 when not in use to minimize free flows. Yes I use two S600's, with one on a bungee around my neck, and the other on a long hose for easy air shares.

I prefer the adjustable S600. It allows you to be more aggressive when tuning it as the user can control minor freeflow problems due to adverse conditions or too low a cracking pressure setting with the user adjustment. Of course that means the user must figure out when and how to use that adjustment. Unfortunately, that is beyond the interest or capacity of some users.

Can anyone give the pro's and con's for the SP S555 and the S600? I like the MK25 and I'm debating what 2nd stage to put on it.

:dork2:
The S555 is set on a factory setting and can be adjusted by a tech.
The S600 can be set at factory setting but can be self adjusted and fine tuned by user while Diving
Pros : S600 What i just said
Pros : S555 Cheaper
Cons: S555 Cannot seladjust while Diving,S600 smoother breathing reg
Cons: S600 More money
I would personally go with the G250V instead of the s600

Thanks for the info. I just checked out the G250V, and other than the superficial look I can't find out the difference between the G250V and the S600

The G250V is slightly larger, but it has a larger diaphragm that offers some additional mechanical advantage.

Most importantly it has a metal air barrel that makes it a better choice for cold water and reduces dry mouth.

It is larger and heavier, but it also displaces more water so in the water you won't feel any difference in terms of weight. And the larger exhaust Tee reduces bubble interference.

Internally, the S555, S600 and G250V all use the same orifice, poppet and lever and performance in terms of inhalation and exhalation effort is basically identical.

The S555 and S600 use the same case and airbarrel and functional difference is 4 parts and a half dozen o-rings all related to the adjustment knob.

It is correct that you could buy an S555 and then order parts to upgrade/add the adjustment knob and that you'd functionally get an S600 for less money. Of course it would require the cooperation of your dealer and any savings would depend on their willingness and their markup on parts.

But again I would not bother as the G250V is so much better than an S600 and is worth the money.

You can make an S555 into an S600 for around $10 in parts though.

It is correct that you could buy an S555 and then order parts to upgrade/add the adjustment knob and that you'd functionally get an S600 for less money. Of course it would require the cooperation of your dealer and any savings would depend on their willingness and their markup on parts.

Yeah.. the dealer cost is $10 and the retail cost might be $60~70. :no

If you are diving in cold (40-50 degree) water, I would get a MK17/G250V. I have them and am more than satisfied. The extra adjustments on the G250V and the S600 are a huge bonus. Anything more than 50 degrees, the MK25/S600 is fine

If you are diving in cold (40-50 degree) water, I would get a MK17/G250V. I have them and am more than satisfied. The extra adjustments on the G250V and the S600 are a huge bonus. Anything more than 50 degrees, the MK25/S600 is fine

Exactly....:lotsalove:

Back
Top Bottom